Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-29-2007

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
Question hand cranking

Four questions for ya re hand-cranking:

Is it advisable to hand-crank a diesel a few revs before starting it after it's gone unused for a fairly long time? E.g., after winter layup.
If so, is it also advisable to hand-crank the motor once in awhile during the winter layup period?

Should it be cranked in a clockwise direction, counter-clockwise, or does it not matter which way you hand-turn it?

Is it OK to use the nut on the fresh-water pump for hand-cranking? I've got a wrench that fits that. I don't have a tool that fits the splined shaft that sticks out through the bottom pulley on the v-belt that drives the alternator, which I assume is directly connected to the crankshaft.

Last edited by wumhenry; 11-29-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Small yanmars (2g and 3g units) came with hand cranks. Years ago I took a mack Boring course and they suggested turning over the engine with the fuel shut off pulled in order to pre lube the motor. so when you did start it you would have less wear and tear. I don't know if this is still the conventional wisdom but the concept of pre lubing the motor after lay up couldn't hurt.

While laid up in the cold it would not make any sense as the oil will be rather thick.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-29-2007
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Careful, there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
Small yanmars (2g and 3g units) came with hand cranks. Years ago I took a mack Boring course and they suggested turning over the engine with the fuel shut off pulled in order to pre lube the motor. so when you did start it you would have less wear and tear. I don't know if this is still the conventional wisdom but the concept of pre lubing the motor after lay up couldn't hurt.
Do not forget this key step, or you'll have a real danger of the engine cranking and running. That could immediately turn whatever you're using to turn the drive shaft into a bone-breaking, day-ruining flail.
Old 11-29-2007

Question

Fuel shutoff? Do you mean the cutoff valve in the line from the fuel tank?

Dang! I hand-cranked the motor 2 revs last weekend, using the water-pump nut, just to see if I could do it. It didn't occur to me to close the fuel shutoff valve first. Could that cause a problem?
Old 11-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you can't turn off the fuel, you can always open the decompression levers, if your motor has them. It would also make turning the motor over easier than fighting the compression of the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have never heard of anyone that actually hand cranks their diesels. Most sailboat diesels get so little use anyways, I do not see the point... even if you are man enough to get that thing to do a revolution.

Just my opinion.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-29-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Never heard of anyone at our marina doing this. Regardless, I seriously doubt my SuperTurbo 90hp diesel could be hand cranked, at least without some serious leverage . . . precludes using the waterpump, for sure.
Old 11-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I have never heard of anyone that actually hand cranks their diesels. Most sailboat diesels get so little use anyways, I do not see the point... even if you are man enough to get that thing to do a revolution.

Just my opinion.

- CD
Well, the lack of use is precisely why I thought it might be a good thing to do. To prevent corrosion in the cylinders and reduce start-up wear.

Pistons in a car motor can get stuck to the cylinder walls with rust if the motor goes a long time unused. It happened to a friend of mine. And I've heard that most wear on an internal combustion motor occurs during cold startups, due to initial lack of lubrication.

Last edited by wumhenry; 11-29-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Just my opinion.

- CD
Dead starting battery.
To do it you lift the compression levers and start cranking once the revs are high enough you drop one lever and then the other. Like poping the clutch on a car.

Small motors only and get your hands out of the way.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Never heard of anyone at our marina doing this. Regardless, I seriously doubt my SuperTurbo 90hp diesel could be hand cranked, at least without some serious leverage . . . precludes using the waterpump, for sure.
It's not all that hard to do with my 16-hp Universal, though.