Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-02-2007

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
Replacing forestay...?

Hello, I am new to things...I need to replace my forestay, and I was wondering what is the best way to support the mast while doing this...?

My boat is deck stepped... I want to use the mainsail shroud for support, connecting it to the fore part of the boat, then climb the mast and disconnect the forestay...

Please help me with some recomendations, or a link to some pictures on how to do this that might help...

thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
not sure why you need to support the mast -slacken off the backstay and the shrouds should keep the mast up. if you are worried though, use a halyard; the jib or mainsail halyard can be attached to a cleat or something on the bow and tightened up to take the tension off the stay.

i had to do this to fit my boat in a travelift. it couldn't reach the boat with the forestay in place so we used a halyard to take the tension off the forestay and disconnected it from the bow.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
It depends on your rig. If you have four mid shrouds and two cap shrouds, Hoffa is right. If all your shrouds come down to one point, port and stbd, then you will need to rig a halyard to temporarily replace the tension of the forestay.

Anyway, releasing the tension of the back stay and using a halyard to replace the forestay, so leaning the mast forward a little will help a lot in getting the new forestay attached prior to re-tensioning.
Old 12-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
By the look of it, your fore-and-aft lower spreaders have a fairly wide base so the mast isn't going to fall over if you remove the forestay.

But if you plan to climb the mast to do this job you'll probably appreciate the extra support of a temporary forestay, just take a jib halyard, attach it to the deck or toerail and tension it.

Loosen or disconnect the forestay turnbuckle or fittings at the deck before going up to undo the top end... take a messenger line with you to tie on to help lower the forestay to the deck once its off.

Have a trusted friend on the other end of the halyard you're on
Old 12-02-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Whenever something isn't supposed to happen, Murphy's Law says that it will, from-time-to-time. It only takes a couple of minutes to rig a halyard as a safety line to replace the disconnected headstay, but it can save you weeks in a hospital.
Old 12-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinesniper View Post
Please help me with some recomendations, or a link to some pictures on how to do this that might help...

thanks...
There is another, more extreme way to reach your forestay mast connection . . . without the need for going aloft.

Just rig up this device while anchored alongside a high fixed pier during low tide.

No forestay needed . . . just be sure your shrouds are secure.
Old 12-02-2007

runexe is on a distinguished road
Ummm... oops? I have to ask, is there a story that goes with that picture? Cuz I'm very curious. Are those a couple medicine balls or something?
Old 12-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
runexe,
The series of photos were from a current thread located HERE.

I guess you missed the embedded hyperlink.
Old 12-02-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
You definitely can do it the way Faster describes with the halyard rigged as a temporary forestay supporting the rig while you climb aloft. I helped my friend replace his backstay this fall in this exact manner and it went off without a hitch. He rented a slip for a day (his boat lives on a mooring) and he took a line up with him to lower the cable down to the deck. One more trip up with the new cable and he was off (he couldn't just hoist the new one up then because he used the old one as a reference for the rigging shop to make the new one). He also got some cool pictures of his boat while he was up there!

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

You just had to go there...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.