SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Room/Compartment Paint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/39002-engine-room-compartment-paint.html)

ilnadi 12-04-2007 09:20 AM

Engine Room/Compartment Paint

The engine (10-HP Diesel) is out of the boat getting serviced. I was going to use this opportunity to paint all or some parts of the engine compartment (not the engine). I have not been able to find any documentation on what kind of paint is suitable for this. There are three main areas:
  1. the bilge under the engine
  2. the plywood & MDF side panels
  3. the ceiling, which seems to be the rough underside of the cockpit footwell.
Is there one paint that will work for all or do I need 2/3 kinds of paint? I am worried just picking some paint and then finding out it doesn;t like the heat.

Thanks for the help.

sailingdog 12-04-2007 09:26 AM

The bilge under the engine I would paint using a barrier coat paint, like Interprotect 2000E.. It will help protect the fiberglass from osmosis from the bilge to the exterior. It should be just fine on the fiberglass, given that the fiberglass isn't bothered by the temperature, it shouldn't be either. You could probably use it on the plywood, MDF and underside of the cockpit footwell too, but if you do that, I'd go with the white, rather than the gray. :D

IMHO, it shouldn't get hot enough to damage the paint, given that it isn't damaging the fiberglass, wood or MDF. You might want to call Interlux and see what they say about using it for this particular project. :D

ilnadi 12-04-2007 09:46 AM

thanks. It is true that the paint does not have to be more heat-resistant than plywood and MDF but I also did not want it to peel off too quickly. I'll post it to Interlux and see what they say.

HoffaLives 12-04-2007 02:19 PM

you might want to look at sound barrier materials rather than paint, at least for the sides and top.

ilnadi 12-04-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilnadi (Post 232434)
...I'll post it to Interlux and see what they say.

Not much help there:
"In the bilge area we would recommend using Bilgekote, but we have not tested Bilgekote, or any of our other topside paints to with stand an environment where they are subjected to high heat. There is a risk that in those situations the paint will blister and peel off."
Doesn't sound like they're ready to sign up to not cracking under pressure, I mean heat.

As far as sound isolation material, this is a Catalina 25 that does not really have a sealed engine compartment (there are opening panels in three directions and a hole aft, so I'd have to cover a bunch of small areas, removable panels, etc. Not ideal). I am thinking cosmetics and easier to clean next time (plus detect leaks, etc, etc)

AjariBonten 12-04-2007 02:34 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT use some left over bottom paint just 'cause you gots it hangin' 'round .... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No, I DID NOT DO THAT; but one of my crew did it on his boat, LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What a freakin' MESS :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GeorgeB 12-04-2007 02:36 PM

The rear engine compartment “box” completely unscrews from the boat giving you good access to engine on the MkII boats (I have a C34 with the same engine). MkI boats should have a similar set up as Catalina designs all their wooden bulkheads to be removable. I took the opportunity to install sound dampening insulation back there when I had mine out. Catalina paints a barrier coat in all bilge areas so you shouldn’t have to, unless you want to “freshen it up” or do a little redecorating.

ilnadi 12-04-2007 03:44 PM

George, as much as I would like, I don't have C34, I have a C25. The engine compartment is the part under the cockpit they stole from what is a double q-berth on the outboard models.

I need to touch up the bilge and all connected parts, 20 years of grime dont scrub away too easy. I may do the whole thing with barrier paint in one pass. I think I'll resign myself to just cleaning the bulkheads.

sailboy21 12-04-2007 03:50 PM

Anyone ever try this stuff? http://images.westmarine.com/full/7927825.jpg

Rockter 12-05-2007 04:11 PM

I had good success with a two-part epoxy.