Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-04-2007
Someday...

ilnadi is on a distinguished road
Question Engine Room/Compartment Paint

The engine (10-HP Diesel) is out of the boat getting serviced. I was going to use this opportunity to paint all or some parts of the engine compartment (not the engine). I have not been able to find any documentation on what kind of paint is suitable for this. There are three main areas:
  1. the bilge under the engine
  2. the plywood & MDF side panels
  3. the ceiling, which seems to be the rough underside of the cockpit footwell.
Is there one paint that will work for all or do I need 2/3 kinds of paint? I am worried just picking some paint and then finding out it doesn;t like the heat.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The bilge under the engine I would paint using a barrier coat paint, like Interprotect 2000E.. It will help protect the fiberglass from osmosis from the bilge to the exterior. It should be just fine on the fiberglass, given that the fiberglass isn't bothered by the temperature, it shouldn't be either. You could probably use it on the plywood, MDF and underside of the cockpit footwell too, but if you do that, I'd go with the white, rather than the gray.

IMHO, it shouldn't get hot enough to damage the paint, given that it isn't damaging the fiberglass, wood or MDF. You might want to call Interlux and see what they say about using it for this particular project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2007
Someday...

thanks. It is true that the paint does not have to be more heat-resistant than plywood and MDF but I also did not want it to peel off too quickly. I'll post it to Interlux and see what they say.
Old 12-04-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
you might want to look at sound barrier materials rather than paint, at least for the sides and top.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-04-2007
Someday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilnadi View Post
...I'll post it to Interlux and see what they say.
Not much help there:
"In the bilge area we would recommend using Bilgekote, but we have not tested Bilgekote, or any of our other topside paints to with stand an environment where they are subjected to high heat. There is a risk that in those situations the paint will blister and peel off."
Doesn't sound like they're ready to sign up to not cracking under pressure, I mean heat.

As far as sound isolation material, this is a Catalina 25 that does not really have a sealed engine compartment (there are opening panels in three directions and a hole aft, so I'd have to cover a bunch of small areas, removable panels, etc. Not ideal). I am thinking cosmetics and easier to clean next time (plus detect leaks, etc, etc)
Old 12-04-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Whatever you do, do NOT use some left over bottom paint just 'cause you gots it hangin' 'round ....

No, I DID NOT DO THAT; but one of my crew did it on his boat, LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What a freakin' MESS
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-04-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
The rear engine compartment “box” completely unscrews from the boat giving you good access to engine on the MkII boats (I have a C34 with the same engine). MkI boats should have a similar set up as Catalina designs all their wooden bulkheads to be removable. I took the opportunity to install sound dampening insulation back there when I had mine out. Catalina paints a barrier coat in all bilge areas so you shouldn’t have to, unless you want to “freshen it up” or do a little redecorating.
Old 12-04-2007
Someday...

George, as much as I would like, I don't have C34, I have a C25. The engine compartment is the part under the cockpit they stole from what is a double q-berth on the outboard models.

I need to touch up the bilge and all connected parts, 20 years of grime dont scrub away too easy. I may do the whole thing with barrier paint in one pass. I think I'll resign myself to just cleaning the bulkheads.
Old 12-04-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever try this stuff?
Old 12-05-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I had good success with a two-part epoxy.