Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-04-2007

JLBJR is on a distinguished road
Hatch Screens

Anyone have any experience with Hatchmaster Screens? Pros, cons? I went to their website and they look like a decent solution for my boat, but they only have sketches and no photos.

JLBJR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
For screens over our hatches, I simply went to Home Depot and purchased several yards of the plastic (nylon?) window screen that was wide enough to overlap the hatch by a good bit. Then I cut the length so that it again overlapped a good bit, and added an edging of masking tape to give it some heft. Next time I may add some pennies along the edge inside the tape to weight it down even more. When it's time to snug down, I spread the screen out over the hatch and the bugs stay out. If there's a real breeze, a line draped around the hatch on top of the screen will hold it. The main hatch screen gets the same setup treatment on three sides, and then the top gets tucked under the end of the open hatchcover. To stow, they all fold neatly into little gray packets. This set has lasted five seasons so far, and cost about $5.00 new.
Old 12-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Agree with Paul... lots of ways to do this effectively without spending the bucks.

If your hatches have a decent "curb", making bug screens out of sheer curtain material, putting an elastic around the perimeter and snapping the screens onto the curb frame works great.

We have also made weighted screens like paul describes that fit over the partially open hatches - ventilates while preventing rain intrusion.
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree there are alot of ways of making screens for hatches that are probably far more cost-effective than buying them pre-made.

I made up a wind scoop for my friend's C25, which has a screen over the opening. Sailrite has kits for similar projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I glue Velcro around the screen and on the hatch, it makes a great seal against bugs.
Old 12-05-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Second HomeDepot type plastic screens. My boat came with hatch screens fitted. I took them home and used them as patterns to make cheap ones.
I want my screens to be easily removable from the inside or outside and most pre-made ones are not removeable from outside the boat.
Simple method, cut screen with overlap, use old dock line around edges, fold screen over dockline and staple it closed. Dock line weighs enough and is flexible enough to stuff down around the hatch.
Old 12-05-2007

Perfect, inovative solutions as always!! I really like the idea of rolling the dock line into the screen. It adds weight, won't scratch or rust, toss it in a drawer while underway.

Thanks everyone,

JLBJR
Old 12-05-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I also used fiberglass screen purchased at a hardware store but went through the trouble of binding mine with sunbrella and then installing snaps. (I was lucky enough to have an expert seamstress in the family) They roll up out of the way and have held up well after 5 years. I used to apply self-adhering velco to cheese cloth to use as screens when sailing in areas where no-see-ems are a problem.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2007

Nice idea Jeff, thanks. Did you use off the shelf snaps, or go to a marine store and get stainless? Comne to think of it, do they even make stainless snaps?

JLBJR