Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-04-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Closed vs Open body turn buckles

My Helms 25 has closed body turn buckles and I was planning on changing them out in the near future. What are the pro & cons of closed vs. open body turn buckles? I know it’s hard to judge where the end of the threads are on my closed body turn buckles. Is one stronger than the other? I have 5/32 wire and 1/4" pins as a frame of reference.

Thanks for your help,

Wayne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I like the open ones as you can see how much thread is left and what condition things are in. I rarely see closed ones on boats over 20 feet. i don't think there is any appreciable difference in strength.
Old 12-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I like the open ones as you can see how much thread is left and what condition things are in. I rarely see closed ones on boats over 20 feet. i don't think there is any appreciable difference in strength.
What he said....
Old 12-04-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
One of the problems with closed turnbuckles is that they rust inside and you can't see it. Even stainless oxidises. In fact it corrodes faster if its enclosed. Open turnbuckles avoid this.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 12-05-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
The terminal ends on the shrouds can be secured with cotter pins, rings, wire, etc with open body turnbuckles. This prevents the turnbuckle from loosening once the shroud tensions are set. This can't be done with the closed body types.
Old 12-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Open turnbuckles tend to hold less water, which reduces the likelihood of them corroding. No real reason to ever go with closed body turnbuckles IMHO. I like Silicon Bronze hardware better than the stainless...but it is harder to find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-06-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Looks like open is the way to go. No pros for closed.
Old 12-06-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road

Devils advocate:
They look cool. If you are a freshwater sailor the corrosion issue isn't really problem. But, avoid lockuts at all cost. They can create huge extra stress where there shouldn't be any.
Old 12-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, a good place to get them from is down the street from where I keep my boat... Rigging Only is a good rigging shop with excellent prices.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.