SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Weather proofing lazarette lids

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 ·
I am helping prep a Nordic 44 to do the Pacific Cup next year. One of the chronic problems on this boat is water entering the lazarettes. The lids are the standard over-lapping "shoebox" type construction common to most of our boats. And like most of our boats, they don't make a very tight seal. In fact, the Nordic builder glued in 5/8 inch stops at various points on the underside of the lids. These were made out of hard, white rubber and look like they were cut out of a larger, flat sheet of the stuff. My thought was to find more of this rubber and glue it as a continuous strip to seal to the underside of the lids. Any thoughts or ideas? What do you guys say? Mainesail?

#2 ·
might be worth getting some rubber automotive door seal type material to glue along the underside of the lids. That is what the manufacturer of my boat did with the cockpit lockers on my boat, and they don't leak.

#3 ·
An easier trick is to make a lip just below the lid. To biggest problem with the shoe box style of lid, is water coming up from below. Without heavy latches to dog down the lid, it is almost impossible to seal tight against the pressure of water coming over the sides. A small lip below the rim deflects the water.

#4 ·
My cockpit locker hatches are held down using regular padlock hasps..

#5 ·
I actually just did this last weekend.

You can go to (gulp) Home Depot and get wome weather stripping - commonly used on doors and windows - though it may also have a picture of a sailboat hatch on the front. I outlined the stationary part of the opening so that when the lid closed, it sealed it completely. THe is also nice because it will reduce/elminiate the rattle from the lid from vibrations (from air conditioners, for example).

The tape is very inexpensive and it is a VERY easy job to do. I finished mine in less than ten minutes with a roll and a pair of scissors.

I hope that helps.

- CD

You might also try the weather stipping that is a rubber gasket. I did not bother since I have done it this way before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.