Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-07-2007

steve301 is on a distinguished road
Signature Paint. hull/deck painting

Hi all -- I would like to paint my hull and deck this spring and have been investigating possible materials. I will be limited to rolling and brushing. I am familiar with Interlux Perfection but have come across another paint manufactured and sold by Signature Paints that seems to have several advantages. In particular, the manufacturer says that it can be applied directly over my existing one part non skid paint. I believe that the Signature Paint is a two part urethane. Does anyone have any knowledge about this paint or experience with it? Are there any comments about the the durability of urethane paint compared with polyurethane paint? Thanks very much for your help.
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I'm not familiar with the Signature product you mentioned, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say. I plan to paint my hull and deck this coming spring with Interlux Brightside one-part polyurethane, mainly because of cost/ease of application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
I've used Interlux Brightside one-part polyurethane on my hull (wood) and Awlgrip on my decks (fiberglass). So, as a general comment I can say the two part paints will flow better and hold up better. Both paints give an excellent finish but the two part flows and flattens out incredibly. One warning on two part: The temperature ranges, at least the temps in the Awlgrip book, are very optimistic. I now use the "cold weather additive" with Awlgrip even when the day is warm enough according to the book.
Old 12-09-2007

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, also have no experience w/Signature, but have used Interlux Brightside on my decks with very good results. Technique is also important. I don't want to bore you with all the religion on prep - I trust you know it's 90% in the preparation and 10% in the final application. But on that last 10% I have found 'very good' goes to 'excellent' if you use the 'roll and tip' method. That is, apply with a roller and dress the rolled paint with a good brush. Make long full strokes across the newly rolled area in a 4-6 way patter of straight, brush strokes, moving across the painted surface in small, say 4sqft areas, at a time. This method gets the most out of the flattening agents in the paint by assisting in distributing the paint more evenly than if it were simply rolled or brushed in 1 or 2 directions. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2007

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
...all that said. Awlgrip is the real answer. Done by a professional if you can swing the cost.
Old 12-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend Awlcraft 2000 rather than Awlgrip, since it is easier to repair and maintain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-10-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
If you are using roll/tip ensure the particular paint is designed for that. I believe Awlgrip is designed for professional application where Interlux Perfection is designed for either spary (pro) or roll/tip. Check out the other paints and call the tech support numbers and ask if it is suitable for roll/tip method.

I seriously doubt any two part paint can be applied oevr a one part or unknown paint without a primer. Interlux has a 2 part primer that is designed for this purpose as the two part paint will eat at the existing paint. When we did our decks we did a lot of prep work but did not remove all the underlying paint. We used the two part primer and then Interlux Perfection (then Interthane Plus) with very good results.

If you want a good job then nothing is better than having a pro spray the paint. You can do all the prep work but no roll/tip is ever quite as good as a really good spray job by a pro.

My next project may be One part - probably Brightsides - and roll/tip but that is due to cost and ease of application. Will probably be ona non skid area as well so even easier.

For a hull I think I would always prefer two part.

Mike
Currently Boatless
Old 12-10-2007
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I assume you are referring to Signature Finish?

This comes from the people that make Honey Teak - might even be the same stuff. I painted the deck on my Niagara 35 with it and was very pleased. Did it two-tone - grey on the no-skid (with compound added) and off-white elsewhere. The results are very good and the price was right - much less than $1000 for everything. Tom, the guy who runs the place is most helpful with advice and sent me a kit with everything in it that I needed. Prep was to wash the surface with detergeant (there were no big holes or major cracks - but some minor ones, the paint covered them). I used two rollers to apply and tip but he has gives instructions about other application methods. The use of vinyl masking tape is critical to a good job - don't skimp on it even if it is pricy. I did the job about five years ago and no sign on wear or breakdown. Good stuff and designed for DIY, quality is not as good as a pro spray job but the price differential is huge.
Old 12-10-2007
maine boat builder in tx.

the1much is on a distinguished road
awl grip is made to roll and tip too,,,but awl craft is spray only, and awl grip is worth the price of it,and there are MANY people who swear by slow rollin,, i mean roll and tipping
Old 12-10-2007

steve301 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I am referring to Signature Finish

thanks very much for responding and relating your experience. Did you apply the Signature over original gel coat or already applied paint? Do you have any thoughts about applying the Signature directly over the one-part paint that now covers my non-skid areas? Any other pitfalls/hints re the application of the paint?
Steve