Need info on Cruising Equipment Amp Hours +2 battery monitor - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2007

Pneumatos is on a distinguished road
Need info on Cruising Equipment Amp Hours +2 battery monitor

I was given a Cruising Equipment Co. Amp Hours+2 battery monitor with no documentation. It has a 9 wire cable coming out the back (blk, red, wht, pur, blu, brn, yel, ora, grn) and that is all the information I have. I would like to know what wire connects to what, and what shunts are needed. If anyone has a manual or link to one, that would be fantastic. Please email me at scoder@7mcs.com if you can help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Not to steal the thread but i was wndering about this. is it too cheap?

:<****** type=text/javascript>snippet(document);

Goldeneye Two Battery Energy Gauge

$39.99
Our Price:

<****** language=JavaScript>document.write('[IMG]https://admin.instantservice.com/resources/smartbutton/5790/21050/available.gif?'+Math.floor(Math.random()*10001)+'[/IMG]');

While there may be other energy gauges on the market, none have Goldeneye's reputation for accuracy and reliability. These are the gauges that set the standard and still remain the most precise energy gauges on the market today. Available in four- battery, two-battery, and single-battery models, these pre-wired gauges let you measure the percentage of charge remaining in batteries in exact increments from 0 to 100%. Ideal for monitoring starting batteries, auxiliary batteries or bass boat rigs with multiple installations. Gauges are internally lighted for day or night use and can be used with all standard and deep cycle 12-volt lead acid batteries.

Last edited by jackytdunaway; 12-08-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: tried to make it less spam like
Old 12-09-2007

ccam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumatos View Post
I was given a Cruising Equipment Co. Amp Hours+2 battery monitor with no documentation. It has a 9 wire cable coming out the back (blk, red, wht, pur, blu, brn, yel, ora, grn) and that is all the information I have. I would like to know what wire connects to what, and what shunts are needed. If anyone has a manual or link to one, that would be fantastic. Please email me at scoder@7mcs.com if you can help. Thank you.

Dear Sir,
Remember to Google it! I use this method on almost everything (questions). Surprisingly it works No sarcasim.
1984 HC 33T #61
Old 12-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is mentioned in the Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible, by John Payne. You can read about it here.

BTW, ccam is right...Google is your friend...if you know how to use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I see that Cruising Equipment became Xantrex. Suggest you try their web site for assistance.
http://www.scsolar.com/Meters.html
www.xantrex.com
Old 12-09-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
I have one but the doc appears to be in my storage locker. I'll try to find the documention tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2007

If it will help you I can try to get the document scanned and post it on a site, let me know.

Red = +12v (jumped to blue)
Blue = +12v from battery #1 (2 amp fuse)
Violet = +12v from battery #2 (2 amp fuse)
black = ground at small screw on bottom of shunt
Orange = Battery #1 twisted pair to top of shunt
Green = Battery #1 twisted pair to bottom of shunt
Yellow = Battery #2 twisted pair to top of shunt
Brown = Battery #2 twisted pair tp bottom of shunt
White = +12 volt for back lighting insturment

The shunt breaks the ground from both batteries with the ground lead from each battery going to the top of each section of the shunt (the split part of the shunt) and the bottom of the shunt (combined section of the shunt) going to the negative bus.
Old 01-05-2008

Thanks for the hookup info. That does help somewhat. The manual would still be greatly appreciated, if you wouldn't mind posting something, or emailing it to me at scoder at 7mcs.com (replace the at with @). I have tried Google and the Xantrex site; nothing usable on either. I found some wiring diagrams etc, for similar items, but nothing saying they were directly compatible. One thing I really would like to know is what size shunt I would need to get. I would assume they are just simple resistors, but I would at least need to know how many ohms (or I guess they are often rated as milivolts per amp?). Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
-Steve
Old 01-08-2008

I can scan the manual (have to get it back out of my storage) and send it to you, but probably not before the weekend. Here's a photo of the shunt. The only markings I can clearly make out on it are "500 AMP" and "Cruising Equipment". I can partially read a part number "MK??-500-50-2X" I'm just not sure about the 3rd and 4th characters, but this leads me to think it's a 500 amp 50 MV unit ("500-50-2X"). Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2008

Thanks for all your help. I would appreciate having the manual scans, but if it is a problem, I can try to figure it out with what you have already provided.
-Steve