Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Zanshin, to find a place you can trust you will pay top dollar. You will be able to recognize the place when you see mirror-finished hulls around the paint building--and the paint building will be a building, or at least a large fully closed shed, because unless it is temperature and humidity controlled and fully enclosed, they can't ensure a 100% job.

The workers will be wearing respirators with positive airflow, or bunny suits. And, the prices are gonna hurt--but the shops that do work outdoors and just deal with things, are never going to give you more than a 95% job.

With any paint or ink, red does fade fastest in high UV, including sunlight. You'll want to make sure you use whatever UV protectant (aka "our special protectant never wax" haha) is available for it. And of course, once you paint you must always repaint, typically in ten years. Once you scuff any color--there's a prominent white scuff showing, where plain boring white wouldn't show it as badly. And the guys are right about those beautiful dark blue colors--dark colors make a measurable difference in temperature in the boat in the tropics.

How durable the job is, also will depend on how thick the shop throws the coating. Again, I'd guess the guys in the bunny suits probably have more training and more control over how thick the coating is--because "too thick" is probably as bad as "too thin".

Tell 'em you want to shave in the reflection from the boat, and if they don't invite you to look at three other hulls they've done right there in the yard or area that have a mirror finish--you'll know you are compromising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Halekai...I've said it before...I really think that color looks beautiful on a nice boat like yours. What is it actually called?
Cam,

It's called Stars & Stripes Blue. It's one of the semi custom colors and is not currently on the color charts.

P.S. Many shops still work with Imron but Awlcraft 2000 is Akzo's version of Imron. Imron and AwlCraft 2000 are both acrylic LPU's, with very smilar properties, vs. AwlGrip which is a polyester LPU. Imron and Awlcraft 2000 can be buffed and repaired much more easily than polyester LPU's can and thus can and do last longer if properly cared for. Polyester LPU's are not designed to be buffed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-13-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Stars and Stripes Blue?!

A provincial colonial might think that would be the deep flag blue of the "Stars and Stripes" flag...I wonder how the heck THAT color paint got THAT name attached to it.

It's a beautiful color, I just don't figure it is used on anything that has stars and stripes. More like what the paint companies call "federal blue" in house paint, no?
Old 12-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...apparently it is named for the color used on a rather famous Stars& Stripes sailboat!
Old 12-13-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
I belive it was once called "Gunsmoke Blue", but was changed ala Cam's post above.
Old 12-13-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Cam is...

Cam is once again correct. The color was custom mixed & created for the Connor / Cup challenge boat USA-55. Since that time the color has become somewhat more popular even though it's not on the Akzo (parent company of AwlGrip) color charts..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-26-2007

bfdtpkt is on a distinguished road
Think about FLAGG BLUE!
Old 12-27-2007

Well from someone who had that color..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtpkt View Post
Think about FLAGG BLUE!
Been there done that NEVER again! Flag Blue shows everything and although it's a very beautiful color, keeping it clean and dried salt free, is next to impossible. Lighter colors don't show the dried salt or scratches nearly as bad a darker colors and if you're down south darker colors are a no, no anyway...

Old 12-27-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Even dirty, in my opinion, dark blue is still the best looking color followed closely by dark green or any dark color.
Old 12-28-2007

steelboat is on a distinguished road
awlgrip stars and stripes blue

Hello all: new to this forum but have been lurking for a while, and couldn't resist posting about this awlgrip color. I had liked it for a while, but was concerned about it being a little dark, and therefore hot, so when I (finally ) painted the boat I had spent half my life building, I added 2 quarts of arctic white for every gallon of stars and stripes blue, and came up with a color which is quite unique, and which varies a lot depending on the light and the color of the water around it. People seem to like it; and the boat remains quite cool, even in 90 plus degree July weather. I don't find it too hard to keep clean. Won't let me post a link because I don't have enough posts, but pictures can be seen on the web site, sv-restless.com. Hope this helps, Bob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.