Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-11-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Actual Awlgripping costs

I have searched this forum and google to see if I could find some site or reference that tells me roughly what it would cost to awlgrip a 43 foot hull. I've seen pricing on the actual Awlgrip; but realize that the professional labour costs are more significant. The boat is in the Caribbean now and I can sail it to a location with cheaper labor - but not at the cost of getting a good job done. For those of you who have already had Awlgripping done on a boat of comparable size what did the final price tag work out to?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
$7500 but that was a few years ago for my 41. Priced included redoing the non-skid. Work was done by hinkley
Old 12-11-2007

thanks - now I have a ballpark to play with. Do you recall the ratio of paint costs to the total or was there no breakdown in your price tag.

Old 12-11-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
We had a 34' boat done last year with Awlcraft, complete job including a new bootstripe was 2K incl materials. Done near Seattle at a private shop. Excellent results. Research threads here for discussion about reasons to use Awlcraft instead. Halekai gave some great info. Sorry, don't have the link.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-11-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Zanshin
Can't recall how the price was broken down but the labor was far more than the material. Also, Awlcraft and Awlgrip are often used interchangeably but there is a difference - you might want to discuss the differences wth whoever you choose to do the work as each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I know hinkley has their preference.
Old 12-11-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Prices in New England run from $125 to $200 a foot, you can get a decent job done for $150 a foot. My current boat was painted Imron 15 years ago somewhere in Venezula at a fraction of US costs and even today from 15 feet away the hull looks like a new boat.
Old 12-11-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Prep is more important than the actual finish coat and should be a large part of the cost of the project. All dings and scratches need to be repaired and the hull should be re-preped after the primer and base coat are applied. The finish is dependent on the hull prep and remember that all defects will be magnified by the new shiny paint.Ask what type of hull prep is included in the project. As this prep is labor intensive, much better prices can be had where labor is cheap - like in Trinidad or other locations in the Caribbean.
Old 12-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Zan...East coast prices for your boat with a professional job in an enclosed space will run 8-10k I believe. Be VERY careful about getting a cheaper job done way down island as there are many tales i've heard about thinned out awlgrip being used and looking good initially but degrading in a year or two. I would be there to sign off on each prep step AND the paint job if you go that route.
I would also second the consideration of AwlCraft as an alternative per Halekai's excellent prior posts on the subject.
Old 12-11-2007
maine boat builder in tx.

the1much is on a distinguished road
at hinckley's the cost ratio is more labor then anything else,,works out ta more cost for your tape,plastic,and sandpaper,thats after just the labor,,the paint dont cost them much at all hehe they pay like $58 a gallon for awl-grip
Old 12-11-2007

My problem is I have to find a place I trust as I won't be there for any of the work stages - the awlgrip shop at the boatyard where I am currently on the hard doesn't look too reputable but there are 2 companies on Tortola that I might ask; but I wanted to get a feel for the price range first before deciding on whether or not I want that royal blue or red color to distinguish myself from the charter crowd