Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2007

gavinandrebecca is on a distinguished road
rebuild perkins 4-108

Looking at buying a Slocum 43 which has the 4-108 with low compression (200 psi apparently)
What i wish to know is how much does it cost to rebuid. These are common motors so SURELY some 1 has done this. I am getting a quote from redline marine.
Appreciate if we stick to the facts
cheers fallas (And ladies, are there any here??)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Facts?

It is a reliable motor, and the cost of parts is not likely to be too bad.
Redline Marine do not know what's wrong with it, so how can they quote? What if the crank is shot? Does it run? Is it noisy? Is it smoky?

I would look around for another one to drop in there, one with known history and good compression.
You can take the marinising bits off the one you have.

Be very careful indeed about buying a boat with a troublesome motor. I have done it with motorcycles, and regretted it. The costs simply ran away on me.

There is enough trouble in the world without buying it.
Old 12-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Rockter... if you don't know what's wrong with it...the costs could easily runaway and escalate far past what you'd be willing to invest in an older engine. Why buy a boat with such problems unless the buyer is willing to adjust the price accordingly.

If you're serious about the boat, and the seller is too...get a survey, engine survey and rigging survey...and then make a deal with the adjustments in price based on the costs of any serious repairs that are indicated by the surveys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
you can call your local "new holland" farm equipment dealer, the 4-108 was used in ford and new holland ag. equip. GET AN ENGINE SURVEY AND OIL ANALYSIS FIRST

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-12-2007

If the compression is that low, you are going to be wasting money on a suvey of the engine. It is going to need a top-end re-build, at least.

For a Volvo, in 1997, AND DOING IT MYSELF, that cost me the equivalent of $3000 in 1997 (inflate that one to today), top end alone.

For a Perkins, budget for about 1/3 of that, perhaps.

Be careful.
Old 12-12-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Can ya wrench? Have ya rebuilt any motors yourself? I have, several times and wouldn't be the least bit afraid of rebuilding a 4-108. Motors is motors.
Old 12-12-2007

Charlie...

It's the cost of it I was worried about, not the doing of it. If there was another motor, the same, elsewhere, that was running, I really would use that, and it should fit, given some basic checks for mount leg compatability first.
Old 12-12-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Check with Trans Atlantic Diesel. Really good people to work in my experience. They have a rebuild 4108 sitting on the shop floor ready to drop in. http://www.tadiesels.com/used-meng-1051.html

Old 12-12-2007

cbayermd is on a distinguished road
We have a slocum 43 (and absolutely love it). We had to have some repair on the engine (perkins 4-108) because of bent rods and concern about piston damage. the rebuilt head cost $1000 and took about 8 hours to repair. Our mechanic is a friend, but generally charges about $100/hr. The engine works like a dream now and as an added benefit, the couple of areas where oil leaked are fixed.
what slocum are you looking at?
Old 12-12-2007

cbayermd is on a distinguished road
by the way, i am a woman. whether i am a lady is up for discussion.