Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-13-2007

DLM is on a distinguished road
up the mast.....

Well, I did it... duh .... lowered the sail, hooked the halyard to the rail (or thought I did.) Pulled on the halyard to tighten it up... wasn't thinking/paying attention... halyard wasn't hooked to the rail securely... sure enough the whole darn thing went to the top... Grrrr... $$$$$ Grrrr... I know, it doesn't pay to be stupid.... Mast light needs fixing anyhow...question... is there a "best" climbing system... other than hiring someone?
Butch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
The usual solution is a second halyard and a bosun's chair - plus a strong friend to winch you up, or a small friend who you can winch up.

If available, use a third halyard as a safety line.

Of course, if you want to be like the Southern Ocean freaks, you can use a mountaineer's climbing harness and go up a tightly tethered halyard.
Old 12-13-2007

rheaton is on a distinguished road
I recently also lost my halyard up the mast. I was able to retreive it from the deck using a long poll/snare. I constructed a poll using my boat hook lashed to my fully extended spiniker poll. I attached a snare line to this. For the loop I tied a hangmans noose. This worked ok after a few tries. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007

DLM is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys. My second halyard is attached to the jib/furler... will most likely have to get that one down.... mast is 49' up....not sure I can find a pole long enough to reach that rascal???
Thinking about installing LED light.... so, maybe the best way this time around would be to pull it??
Butch
Old 12-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Pulling the mast to retreive a halyard and install an LED light is a time consuming and expensive way to do it. (Assumin you already have masthead wiring for the light.)
Suggest you:
1. lower your headsail and use the jib halyard and a bosuns chair to go up the mast.
2. Use your topping lift and bosun's chair to go up the mast.
3. Hire someone to do it. Cheaper than hauling and dis-masting!
Old 12-13-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM View Post
Thanks, guys. My second halyard is attached to the jib/furler... will most likely have to get that one down.... mast is 49' up....not sure I can find a pole long enough to reach that rascal???
Thinking about installing LED light.... so, maybe the best way this time around would be to pull it??
Butch
Going up the mast should be routine.
You should get used to doing it.
No need to pull the mast for a lost halyard.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-13-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
Get an ATN Topclimber, and go up the mast anytime you want, without waiting for help. There have been many posts writen on this subject, try searching.
I've had one about 7 years now, and I've gone up as much as 6-7 times in one day myself doing repairs or installations, and I'm 70 yo & overweight.

Marc
Old 12-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The ATN TopClimber will allow you to go up the mast without needing a second person below to winch you up.

If you go up on a bosun's chair, I would recommend you use an line ascender on a second line as a safety measure.

LED masthead lights rock... I have an OGM Tri-anchor light on my boat.

I don't think you need to pull the mast for installing the LED masthead light or retrieving the halyard. As SailorTJK1 suggests, you should get used to going up the mast... as it is a normal part of maintenance and such on a sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
I have a fractional rig with only one halyard (the main) going all the way to the top. How difficult is it to rig up a spare masthead halyard?
Old 12-13-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Depends on your mast head. I have spare sheaves for a topping lift, and a second jib, for example.