Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-25-2002

bruadair is on a distinguished road
What do I dooooooooooooooo!!!!!!?????

I need some help remedying a problem with my Hans Christian 33. Two weeks ago, I sanded what little varnish was left on the toe rail. Got it down to bare wood. Afterwards I hosed down the boat and went home (I live three hours away). I went to the boat again yesterday, and was horrified with what I saw. There were streaks running down the hull all along the boat! I am assuming I really did a poor job getting all the sanding dust off the boat. Is it possible that the varnish dust made it''s way into crevices along the toe rail, then, in the 85 degree heat, melted and ran down the hull? What do I do? How do I get my hull back to normal and looking good!? Am I going to have to paint the boat? I am still so distraught over this.

If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! I thought about hiring someone to compound and wax the hull next week when I go back out to the boat. Is waiting another week going to make matters worse? Is compounding and waxing a good idea?

what to do, what to do?

thanks.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I find it hard to believe your varnish melted and regressed to it''s from the can state. I am no expert, yet I do think there is a chemical reaction in drying varnish that will not be repeated in the conditions you describe. If that were true, every coat of varnish would melt off the wood and drip on to the hulls of boats in the tropics. I would be very surprised if you have done any permanant damage. Just relax and go through several steps and I am sure things will be OK.

If it were my boat I would try:

1. Soap and water.

2. A cleaner/wax like McGuirer''s 50

3. Denatured alcohol - a fairly gentle solvent. Test a spot to be sure it won''t harm the hull. I have never had any problems with this on gel coat.

4. Failing #1 I would repeat the process with a hardware store brand of turpentine - test first on gel coat though again I have never had any problem with it.

There are stronger solvents and I would progress through each testing a spot before committing the whole hull to it.
Old 04-25-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Try some Island Girl products.... I think Island Girl Pink should work and its safe for Fiberglass, but in it''s undiluted state it can even break down 5200 sealant

Go here and read about it and order
http://www.IslandGirlProducts.com/
Old 04-26-2002

gnorbury is on a distinguished road

Don''t panic! Its not likely to be permanent, and will almost certainly come off with fiberglass cleaner and some elbow grease. Even a regular wax cleaner might do the job and give you a nice shine while you''re at it.

Graham
Old 04-28-2002

RichH will become famous soon enough

Not a big problem !!!!!!!
Probably iron oxide (from debris from prior Cetol application) or tannin release from the wood thus staining the hull. Remedy: Soak the stains with OXALIC ACID (wood bleach, acid teak bleach, "Zud" cleanser, etc. - cheaper if you buy it from a hardware/paint store.). Should *instantly* remove the stains. Cetol and a now a lot of other finishes contains microscopic iron oxide to prevent UV degradation of the finish, ... its the iron that enters and stains the surrounding gelcoat .... if the gelcoat has become porous.

The real underlying symptom that you describe is that probably the gelcoat has become very porous from oxidation and severely needs to be compounded and waxed; -- the immediate next future stage of deterioration is teeny micro-checking (macroscopic alligatoring) of the surface.
Periodic high speed power buffing with very fine compound (1300+ grit) and WAX to keep the gelcoat sealed is the best prevention. If the boat is in the water, wash with oxalic to remove the staining, then seal with carnauba wax and do the restoration/buffing/waxing next time that you are on the hard.
For some reason the gelcoat on a lot of early and mid 80s boats degrade like this faster than others. Ya gotta keep them buffed and waxed.... and then strip the old dead wax once a year with caustic, rebuff and rewax to keep the gelcoat sealed.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2002

scottcallahan is on a distinguished road

everyone has a prefrence. i like the good old "on/off". rince with water then compound and wax the whole hull. if you compound do not use a cheap buffer. you must use the grinder style buffer. compound does not work unless the buffer is moving at over 2000 rpm''s. wax by hand.

-scott-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.