Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
buildup in poo hose

yet another poo thread, but i saw a neighbor beating the crap out of a length of sewage hose with a mallet, trying to get the calcareous deposits out. it reminded me of when i installed my holding tank - all the old hoses had this hard deposit in them and i recall reading that it's the dead shells from all the poisoned plankton. the old hoses had lost like 1/3 of their original diameter, and it's not something i want to clean out the way the neighbor did it. is there any way of preventing the buildup? if it is shells it would be alkali - has anyone tried running vinegar down there regularly?
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Vinegar would be a very good way to get rid of the calcification... probably monthly. Also, vinegar isn't strong enough to damage the seals and hoses generally.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It is not shells...it is what happens when uric acid mixes with salt water. The standard preventative treatment is to flush vinegar slowly through the system once a month...over a couple of hours.
Once you HAVE the problem...the solution is to flush muriatic acid through the system. Do a search here on muriatic for a complete procedure. Problem solved.
Old 12-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be very careful when mixing the muriatic acid since it comes in various strengths.. so check what the strength of the acid you purchase actually is—don't guess.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-19-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Poop again..., well I can comment on pee but not poop. I use about a cup of vinegar once every two weeks and about a half a cup of cooking oil once every two months (to lube the seals) if you're ambitious, add seasoning and make some salad dressing. If you have the problem already beware too much vinegar at once. I did this and ended up with a very large amount of solids clogging the plumbing, it resembled sand in texture and there was a ton of it.
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

Lion35-

Unless you pump out right after you pour the cooking oil through the system, I would avoid pouring cooking oil into a head. It will float up and sit on top of the holding tank contents and kill off the aerobic bacteria, but cutting off their air supply... leaving the anaerobic bacteria, which are the ones that produce the sulphur based smells... not a good idea... YMMV.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-19-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
I just replaced my head and hoses, how "frugal" would a guy have to be that would remove, clean and reinstall a hose ?
Old 12-19-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
That's like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on.
Old 12-19-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
No sh.., I mean poo - Just replace the damn hose - even if you do it as part of a normal spring commissioning every year it's what 20 bucks in hose? As opposed to 15 bucks in vinegar and hours of sloooowly flushing?
I can see doing the smash and spray dockside if you are a liveaboard, after all you have no leaves to rake and nothing else to do (kidding, just kidding) but for normal weekend use it would take years of use/misuse (not fully flushing with fresh water when returning to dock) to clog a hose with calcificied carbon uric poo sludge.
Old 12-19-2007
Telstar 28

As a maintenance regimen, it makes sense to do the vinegar thing...but as a fix... I think replacing the hoses is easier and probably faster and safer...if a bit more fragrant.

Telstar 28
New England