Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-21-2007

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
Dinghy outboard

looking for a new motor for my dinghy. had a suzzuki 2.5 hoarse 4 stroke. got destroyed thanks to a careless dock hand. will cost almost as much to get a new one as to repari this one.
Was thinking of getting the honda 2 hp instead. This motor is air cooled. suposidly starts easier. Anybody have any experience with them?
Is 2hp that much less than 2.5 hp. I have an 8 ft portabote (very light) i weigh 240lbs. i can make the boat plane with just me in it and in the right spot in the boat with the 2.5 want to be able to continue that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't get the Honda four-stroke 2 HP. It doesn't have a real transmission and is air-cooled. At low engine speeds, needed for docking, the engine is harder to control than one with a transmission.

Last April, I bought a Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke and use it with an 8' inflatable and a 12' Portabote. It works very well and it only weighs about 40 lbs. with a full tank. The tank is about .3 gallons in size and runs for about an hour.

The small Mercury outboards are also made by Tohatsu, but I would buy the Tohatsu brand, since it is usually lower in price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-21-2007

is this personal experience with the motor or your assumption. I didn not take into conideration the transmission but they have a model with a neutral. which i assume is like my suzzuki i had and i was able to dock ok with that, was a little tricky but got used to it. is this different ?
Old 12-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr575 View Post
i weigh 240lbs. i can make the boat plane with just me in it and in the right spot in the boat with the 2.5 want to be able to continue that.
jason,
My wife and I have used the Merc model (3.3 - prior to the 3.5) on an 8'-6" inflatable for 10 years, trouble free and very light and reliable. I would second sd's endorsement.

However, I weigh less than you, but have never been able to get up on plane. She does move along respectfully - but I wonder if your definition of planing differs from mine.
Old 12-21-2007

rheaton is on a distinguished road
I bought the Honda 2 hp last fall. I only used it a few times but, I like it. My buddy has had one for a few years, and he likes his too. It did get a good review in Practical Sailor a few months back. I have found it's hard to beat Honda for reliability.
Old 12-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our dockmate bought a Honda 2 hp a few years ago and in frustration, gave it away. Many of the metal components on it were of mild steel and rotted away in just two years. He replaced it with one like ours - and has been happy ever since.

I will never understand the mentality of saving a few pennies by not using stainless steel fasteners and fittings.
Old 12-21-2007

I did "plane" ( the boat lifted higher in the water and i moved faster, was able to maintain speed when like this while backing down on throtle). Remember my dinghy is very light though. less than 50lbs.

This will be used mostly in brackish river water but will occasionally be used in pure salt water when i am crusing. Anybody else have problems with fitting rusting out? This is a definate down side!

I really like the idea of air cooled because the motor is in the water approx 70%of the time and i do not rinse it out after use. I do pull the motor up when not in use but the dinghy is in water and used or waiting to be used more of its life than it is on land.

Would like to hear from more of the honda owners. what do you like and dislike.
Old 12-21-2007

I use my motor for frequent short trips back and forth to my mooring. On the busy days up to 7 trips a day. This makes it difficult to keep track of motor hours. does any one know of a way to hook an hour meter up to one of these?
Old 12-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A friend of mine at my marina had one... and ending up selling it and buying a Tohatsu. The Honda 2HP doesn't really have a transmission... it uses a centrifugal clutch to engage the prop... and you can't really drop the RPMs too low or the clutch disengages. So, powering the boat at slow speeds gets pretty tricky... since you can't leave it idling to move you very slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr575 View Post
is this personal experience with the motor or your assumption. I didn not take into conideration the transmission but they have a model with a neutral. which i assume is like my suzzuki i had and i was able to dock ok with that, was a little tricky but got used to it. is this different ?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-21-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I used to have a 8' portabote with the honda 2hp, I liked it but if I do it again I'll get a tohatsu 3.5 because I found the honda air cooled motor a little noisy, also a little under powered as I couldn't get the boat to plane unless I shifted my weight forward. I only had the honda a year and a half so can't comment on the parts rotting issue.