Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-22-2007

kaniksu is on a distinguished road
Schaefer vs Leisure Furl

I am considering installing a Leisure Furl or Schaefer furling boom on a 46ft center cockpit cutter. I would very much appreciate pro/con comments one these two systems. Leaving aside the argument whether to furl the main or not, I am just interested in comments from those of you that have experience with one or the other and your preference for one over the other. The only difference I know of so far is that Schaefer places the furling drum at the rear and Leisure Furl up forward. The plan is to leave the west coast and cruise the South Pacific, NZ and Australia ending up in Thailand. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Kaniksu...you're choosing between two great units. I've never heard a bad thing from any owner of either. We went with the Shaeffer on our 52' CC boat and had the local Quantum loft mfr. the sail to specs.
We love it and had great factory support during the installation and the sail & furler performed flawlessly on our voyage. The Shaeffer was a bit less expensive than the LF and our trusted rigger recommended it so that settled our choice.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Here's a look at mine:
http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...user/4696/sl/c
Old 12-22-2007

kaniksu is on a distinguished road
Good looking boat you have. May I borrow it for my cruise? I will be going to the Seattle boat show next month and hope to get more info there. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-20-2008

mohea is on a distinguished road
Leisure Furl

Hi there,

My experience with Leisure Furl on my 47 footer is pretty bad. Continious jamming of the main during hoisting. Leisure furl did not give any support> nor the Leisure furl in New Zealand or the local supplier in the Netherlands.

The system is just not ready for offshore sailing.

Better you go with a different system.
Old 10-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mohea-

I seriously doubt he much cares or that it matters, since his post is almost a year old... and if he hasn't gotten one or the other by now, he's probably sold the boat.

Please check dates before replying on older threads. Also, suggest you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time on sailnet.

Welcome to the asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohea View Post
Hi there,

My experience with Leisure Furl on my 47 footer is pretty bad. Continious jamming of the main during hoisting. Leisure furl did not give any support> nor the Leisure furl in New Zealand or the local supplier in the Netherlands.

The system is just not ready for offshore sailing.

Better you go with a different system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.