Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-23-2007
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
Radar reflectors and you....

After reading the coments on -Sailing in the fog- and recomendations for radar reflectors, I found a report called “Performance Investigation of Marine Radar Reflectors on the Market, ” along with a report on the tragic sinking that prompted it.

http://www.ybw.com/pbo/pdfs/radar_reflectors.pdf

Three sailors died after the big ferry Pride of Balboa apparently ran down the 26' yacht Ouzo early one morning near the Isle of Wight.

The testers concluded that only the Sea-Me active reflector delivers a strong enough radar return to even meet the ISO 8729 standard, and some perform so poorly that they aren't worth carrying because they'll only give you a false sense of security.

I guess we remain specks in the ocean ... it sucks to be the little fish.

Last edited by administrator; 01-02-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
Class A and B ais( automated identity system) plotters or transponders may the way of the future. Commerial vessels will be required to have them( class a) or may already be required. There has been some hype about class b for smaller vessels and sailboats, but again may lead to some false securty. Also Class B recievers make 2 sweeps per minute. Class A broadcasts every 2 seconds but some ships may even filter out class B signals, or nobody may even be watching it. Radar I think has 24 sweeps per min which is way less than what the class A transmits.
I am sure there are some on this board who may know more on this.
Old 12-23-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I use one of the Davis aluminum ones all the time. They supposedly do make sailboats at least slightly more visible. If nothing else, I figure my wife can sue Davvis after I am run down by a big ship.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-23-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
To me a passive radar reflector is one of those things that are sold because there is a need, even if they don't work ... because they seem like they might work. I don't remember reading a single scientific study that says that they actually DO work.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
This is a pretty definitive study on passive reflectors. For those with short attention spans....the Davis Echomaster "won"...but the detail is worth understanding to get best results from it.
http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Stud...test.htm#INDEX
Old 12-23-2007
I can't reMember

Slipkiller2 is on a distinguished road
I've got a Tri-Lens Reflector that seems to work pretty well. It was rated #1 by Practicle Sailor.

http://www.tri-lens.com/trilensweb12002001.htm
Old 12-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Practical Boat Owner (UK) has a sea-trial of AIS in January 2008's issue. Automated Indentification System, AIS, technology should become quite affordable and accessible in the near future for all sizes of vessels. Affordable to the extent that yachts should find it no hindrance to carry at least the transponder if not a receiver. Given the relative speed differences between yachts and ships, it remains more important that the ship see the yacht as she will, in most cases offshore, be more able to void collision.
Old 12-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problem with AIS is that it requires electricity to work.... and electrical systems on small boats are not the most reliable in the world. That is also the problem with the Sea-me active radar reflector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The only problem with AIS is that it requires electricity to work.... and electrical systems on small boats are not the most reliable in the world. That is also the problem with the Sea-me active radar reflector.
Unfortunately, that is not the only problem with AIS. Another big problem is that bridge crews do not always pay a lot of attention to it -- generally less than they do to radar. The early versions had a stand alone display screen that, while required to be installed on the bridge, often was tucked away in a closet somewhere. Many harbor pilots reported coming aboard ships and finding that the bridge crew on duty didn't even know where the AIS display screen was located, especially with foreign crews/flagged ships (it's a USCG-originated requirement, afterall.)

Newer AIS can interface with the ECDIS, which helps to get the info in front of bridge crew. But the information being displayed is confusing often enough that bridge crew tend to be skeptical of what they're reading. Examples of confusing information occur, for instance, when bridge crew neglect to update the ship's status line, so their AIS transceiver may be broadcasting that they are "quayside - Seattle" when they are actually steaming out of the Straight of Juan De Fuca.

As currently configured, AIS seems to be a greater benefit to HomeLand Security entitites, and business enterprises that track cargo shipments (e.g. http://www.aislive.com/ ), than it is to commercial vessels or recreational sailors. But that will likely change as potential benefits of AIS are exploited by technology upgrades.

Here I must add a disclaimer as my company is involved in devellopping technology that aims to exploit the AIS network to greater advantage.
Old 12-24-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This is a pretty definitive study on passive reflectors. For those with short attention spans....the Davis Echomaster "won"...but the detail is worth understanding to get best results from it.
http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Stud...test.htm#INDEX
The study is dated 1995, and it unfortunately does not include testing of the only type of passive radar reflector that IMHO works: the Luneberg tri-lens. As mentioned above in post #7 by Slipkiller2, Practical Sailor recently found that it gave the best results of all they tested.

I've used a tri-lens on my last three boats. I'm told my current large-size Rozendal makes me paint like a large ship.

1908 Wildschut Skûtsje