Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-23-2007

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
LINK 2000 R Help needed with regulator

Hello everyone.

After putting everything on my sailboat for a nice 10 day cruise, I realized, that the voltage in my system goes up to almost 18V with 2000-2500rpm on the engine. I am back in the marina and trying to troubleshoot. It seems, that the "Ideal regulator module" doesn't work but its getting hot to the touch.

While running the engine the LED's on the regulator are not lit and the =<18V are going right thru to my AGM batteries.
The manual talk about checking the voltage sensor wire (I did) and I assume because I can see the proper voltage on the LINK 2000 display, the wire must be connected properly.
Everything worked on my last daysail and all the sudden this happens.

I had the engine running for about an hour total, tried to keep the rpm (and the voltage) down, but I had to go thru 2 bridges ... Checking the batteries for heat I must say they havn't been hot at all (good sign?) and I resistet to disconnet the alternator (don't want to fry it).

Anyone any idea that would help beyound the call Xantrex on Christmas eve and arrange replacment to arrive at the end of the vacation?

This boat is new (to me) and the system has been installed just this summer by a professional outfitter (who is on holiday vacation).

I wanted to learn about my system step by step but this is a bit much for the start of a cruise.

I am in Bradenton, FL and hope somehow I can still go sailing soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2007

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Well, !st thing to do is pour a stiff drink and relax.
Distrust ALL your voltage readings...you already stated that the Link Tells you one thing, and it (the voltage) seems ok; but you've got 18v going to the AGM's. How do you know that? There's a lot I'd like to know about the parts... Ideal regulator? Balmar (I assume) alternator? Call Xantrex? Temperature seems ok, how do you know? Is it just the alternator giving you trouble?
Anyway, I'd beg, borrow, or steal a reasonable DVM..the $4.98 Harbor Freight specials are wonderful things..(note plural) to have aboard.
Measure the no-load terminal voltage of your batteries..both of them. Should be about 12.6 v. Measure the same batteries with one or the other charging source (not both) active. No more than 14.6v initially. If you see 18++v, can your regulator..
You mention a Link 2000. Do you have a shunt in your ground system? Do you know if it's connected properly? Have you actually evaluated your system critically after the install.
My initial sense is that the shunt is somehow involved,,,they often are.
Good luck..don't forget that drink.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley
Old 12-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Volk...I don't know how much help I can be but here's a couple of thoughts assuming you have the link2000r instructtion manual on board with you (as distinct from the link2000 other manual).

1. First...are you SURE you are getting high voltage to your batteries? Check using a separate voltmeter at the terminals of one of your batteries while the engine is running with the alternator on. You should see a MAXIMUM of 14.6 volts...anything over that indicates a problem.

2. Assuming there is a problem...then you should follow the "over voltage" troubleshooting steps found on the far right of page 18 of your manual:
A: With Engine off make sure the GREEN LED Reg On lite is not lit. If lit ...reverse shunt sense leads (see wiring diagram) If not...
B:Is the RED LED on the ideal charge OUTPUT MODULE LIT? (Should not be) If it is...disconnect the brown REG ON wire. If lite stays lit you have a bad output control module (regulator!). If lite goes out the problem is IN the Alternator or the alternator wiring. If lite was out to begin with...
C: Do Progress Check #1 steps found on page 11 of the manual.

I am assuming that the link 2000r was installed correctly and working before this and this is a new problem. The above steps will at least let you know whether you need to contact Xantrex...have a bad wire....or have a bad alternator.
If you do NOT have a copy of the link2000r part of the manual...you can download it here:
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/424/docserve.asp

Good luck with it!

Keip...see the manual link above if you think you can be of more help...the 2000r includes an external regulator/shunt and standard link2000 panel. Last couple of pages of the manual show the entire wiring layout.
Old 12-24-2007

Thank you guys for your response.

Here some facts to clearify: The Link 2000 panel also shows the high voltage when the engine is running and I have also checked the voltage directly at the batterie poles ( with engine on and engine off) and getting the high voltage with the engine running. I know, I shouldn't get more than 14.2V (AGM) and the LINK 2000 is prgrammed for the AGM's (I checked). I didn't put a thermometer at the batteries but I touched them ( right after I was back in the marina, charged with about 18V for 45 minutes) and the feel okay(not even warm).

I try to be observant of many things but I am also still learning (aren't we all?) I would not have mind this challange (and opportunity to learn) on a regular weekend. It's just NOW with so limited access and the vacationtime slipping away. That's a little bit frustrating. I am just glad I did program my plotter to show my the system voltage in the cockpit. I don't know whether I would have noticed otherwise.

I have the manuals and I tried the troubleshooting from there. I just wish they would have been a little bit more clear. Example: It says: with the engine off the green led is not lid (I assume it also means, with the engine on it should be lid, but I am not 100% sure). Fact is both LED's on the regulator are off, with and without the engine).

Xantrex is also saying that the regulator module is made in a way, so it can be repaired locally (authorized Service centers) but on their website they are saying, all LINK components can only be repaired by sending them in directly to them. I tried to do some research on how to get a regulator module replacment, but it seems it is only sold as a package (Link 2000R).

Again, thank for your reponse and

Merry Christmas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Old 12-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Volk...sounds like the problem is definitely in the regulator module assuming the connections on the brown RegON wire are good.
One option would be to simply get a different brand of external regulator and bypass the link system for the time being. Then when you can, you can get a replacement for the Link and save the other one for backup.
that's about all I can think of for the short term. Hope it all turns out ok and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2007

Hello cameradery...

Guess what, it was exactly how you described it. The module is faulty and needs to be sent back to Xantrex for warranty repair. They recommended to buy their XAR 3 stage external regulator as a plug-and-play replacement for now and the local Westmarine store was very helpful in locating one for me (although 50 miles away) Anyway I took the plunge, drove the miles, cashed out the $280 and plugged it in. Works like a charme and I will start my Christmas cruise tomorrow morning. Although the XAR it is not communicating with the LINK 2000 panel it will work just fine and will become a permament crewmember on board of Odyssey in case the "new" module will fail again.

I just recommend to anybody to display the system voltage on their plotter if they can. If I wouldn't have I would been motoring most of the day yesterday (wind below 3kts) and had fried my AGM's for sure!

Thanks a lot for your help and Merry Christmas.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Old 12-24-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
nice when people here can save someone's butt like that. reminds me when we went on our maiden cruise with our new boat this summer. raw water pump packed it in before we left the dock, alternator packed it in a few hours later, and windlass packed it in next morning. and did i ever mention the prop wrap i got on the second day of our holidays

nothing can give you so much joy and heartache, and cost as much as a boat. which is why the mistress metaphor is so apt.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-24-2007
moderate?

Ahhh...that's great...I was hoping we could figure out how to preserve your cruise AND my wife tells me it is the first time I've been right all week! (g) All in all not a bad days work! Merry Christmas and enjoy the cruise!
"If it's gonna happen...it's gonna happen out there boss!"...captain ron
Old 12-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
All week, didn't she say all year??
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Ahhh...that's great...I was hoping we could figure out how to preserve your cruise AND my wife tells me it is the first time I've been right all week! (g) All in all not a bad days work! Merry Christmas and enjoy the cruise!
"If it's gonna happen...it's gonna happen out there boss!"...captain ron

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-27-2007

Hello everyone

Just on a final note:
New regulator is working fine. After I lost the first 2 days of my vacation, I thought instead of hugging the coast I go direct. So here I am in sunny Key West enjoying Key Lime Pie. What a nice trip so far and I hope the weather will continue to cooperate for my trip back to Tampa Bay.

Nice singlehanding experience and no other problems with the boat ...

Again many thanks, guys.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY