Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-25-2007

davidpm is on a distinguished road
What is this black stuff?

We have a leek in a 1987 Catalina 27'. We started grinding and this picture shows an area at the very top of the keel on the starboard side about in the middle of the boat. This boat has a glass skeg keel of about 12” with the lead keel affixed to the bottom of that. The lead glass joint looks good. This picture is taken from the center of the glass skeg on the starboard side about in the middle. From the bottom looking up the picture clearly shows:
1. Red bottom paint
2. Gel coat,
3. Large Dark green band (very hard)
4. Small White band (Caulk like but rather soft)
5. Large Black band (Like putty very, very soft)
6. Tan, Pink (Very Hard)
It looks to me like #6 is good glass.
What is #5 it is worthless?
What is #4 it is not much better?
What is the #3 layer
The two layers of softer material white and black (about 1/8”) is between the solid dark green layer and the tan pink layer #6 from the shaft log to as far as we have ground, which is now mid keel.
Also about half of the #6 layer is spider cracked and crumbling and we ground through the hull.
This boat was grounded before by the previous owner and repaired by the yard in an area of about 6” by 24” primarily with bondo directly behind the keel.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this black stuff?-boat1.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 12-25-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
That is the stuff that chemically holds the resin together.. styrene I think. The result of osmosis my friend.
Old 12-25-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Well... Were it not for the colours being all wrong, except for the black, I'd say it's the result of a busted-up ship off a coast line--perhaps in a shallow bay.

Jim
Old 12-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
1. Red bottom paint
2. Gel coat,
3. Large Dark green band (very hard)
The green looks like fiberglass. Fiberglass is often greenish or pinkish.
Quote:
4. Small White band (Caulk like but rather soft)
No idea what this stuff could be... best guess is that it is sealant of some sort.
Quote:
5. Large Black band (Like putty very, very soft)
This sounds like it was wood or some other organic material that just rotted.
Quote:
6. Tan, Pink (Very Hard)
Also, looks like fiberglass. As I said above... Fiberglass is often greenish or pinkish.
Quote:
It looks to me like #6 is good glass.
What is #5 it is worthless?
What is #4 it is not much better?
What is the #3 layer
The two layers of softer material white and black (about 1/8”) is between the solid dark green layer and the tan pink layer #6 from the shaft log to as far as we have ground, which is now mid keel.
Also about half of the #6 layer is spider cracked and crumbling and we ground through the hull.
This boat was grounded before by the previous owner and repaired by the yard in an area of about 6” by 24” primarily with bondo directly behind the keel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-25-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The soft caulk like stuff, maybe boatlife. I had it on my boat around the cutlass bearing tube.
Old 12-25-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
Have you got another pic from further away that puts the position of the ground out spot in perspective? Catalina used plywood in the bottom of the bilge sump in this era C27, but it is hard to tell exactly where the black band is on the keel.

Ryan
82 C27
Old 12-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmm... the plywood would be a good candidate for the black stuff...especially if it was rotten.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-25-2007

This shot is from the starboard stern side. A couple of inches out of frame to the left is the engine saltwater intake. The first shot it at the same elevation (just at the point where the bilge of the boat curves down to the skeg) about 6" to 12" to the right.
I just never expected so many colors and donn't know what they mean. The black spots under the hole are solid so the blackness itself may not be evidence of rot.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this black stuff?-boat3.jpg  
Old 12-26-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
David

Does that hole in the second pic open into the bilge?

Ryan
Old 12-26-2007

Yes. This location is a few inches forward of the engine water intake. It was covered with the soft black layer and had soft glass underneath so it had to be ground out.
Some of the black layer is hard Some is hard and over solid glass, some is soft over solid glass and some is soft over delaminated glass.
I'm leaning towards the theory that it was repaired more than once. That would explain the normal glass at the deepest layer and the blue glass near the surface. Still donn't know what the black layer is.
Plywood sounds unlikely but maybe if they used a plywood form to cover with glass.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-26-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.