Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-26-2007

bfdtpkt is on a distinguished road
TEAK Is Separating

My TEAK brightwork is separating where two pieces come together at my center cockpit topside.
If anybody is familiar with ENDEAVOURS you know that the center cockpit has a large flat strip of teak about 7" wide surrounding the cockpit.......
the teak has actually partially "lifted" and has a small gap between the two adjoining planks due to moisture.

My question is, should I squirt some sort of sealant between these pieces to keep moisture out before I sand down and VARNISH?
If so, what's recommended for this?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I always liked the look of the Endeavours, many that have the sweeping combing made of teak. I would dig out any sealant that might have been there from before if there is a gap. Then put your sealant of choice but make sure you use one that is "paintable" as the varnish will need to stick to it. 3M makes a product called 5200 that I prefer but many on the board don't like it. They do make a 5200 in a teak color and buy a small tube as it hardens up once opened unless you put it in the freezer.
pigslo
Old 12-27-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
You could try epoxy and teak wood flour (sawdust) - fill the crack up, sand down, varnish over and you'd never know it was there..
Old 12-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you have a photo of the problem area? A photo would make it much more obvious what the exact problem is and what the best solutions might be.

Right now, without a photo, I would second ChucklesR, and suggest that epoxy thickened with wood flour might be the best way to proceed.

You should definitely dig out and remove as much of the old sealant as possible. You should also dry the area as thoroughly as possible. Do you have a good way to clamp the teak down after you epoxy it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtpkt View Post
My TEAK brightwork is separating where two pieces come together at my center cockpit topside.
If anybody is familiar with ENDEAVOURS you know that the center cockpit has a large flat strip of teak about 7" wide surrounding the cockpit.......
the teak has actually partially "lifted" and has a small gap between the two adjoining planks due to moisture.

My question is, should I squirt some sort of sealant between these pieces to keep moisture out before I sand down and VARNISH?
If so, what's recommended for this?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-27-2007

bfdtpkt is on a distinguished road
I don't have a pic, HIGH COTTON is currently at the Tampa Bay Sailing Squadron in Apollo Beach and I'm in Miami Shores....... but I'm gonna try ya'll's suggestion when I go back over there next month. THX!
Old 12-27-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If you use the saw dust and epoxy to fill up the space, make sure you tape off what you don't want epoxy on. I would tape below ( so it doesn't drip on the fiberglass ) and the sides of each piece of teak.
Old 12-28-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I agree that a photo is needed or perhaps a drawing and a more detailed description (how big a gap?). I say that because of the statement that the "teak has actually partially "lifted" and has a small gap between the two adjoining planks due to moisture". Wood movement in the form of contraction and expansion is tangential to the grain. That is, wood expands and contracts predominately across its width and not nearly as much length-wise. When you say "adjoining", I'm assuming that the two pieces are joined end to end. If so, I doubt that the gap formed solely due to moisture. I'm also wondering about the lifting thing. Should the whole piece be removed and refastened? Without a photo or some idea of how big the gap is, it's hard to deterine the best way to fill it.

Another option for filling that may be more esthetically pleasing is to epoxy a wedge of teak in the gap. If the gap is 1/8" or more, I'd use a teak wedge. Whether using a wedge or epoxy/sawdust putty, make sure that the teak is CLEAN, otherwise the epoxy will not hold. Teak is naturally oily (that's why it doesn't rot), so unless it's clean and roughed up, nothing will stick to it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.