Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-28-2007

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
TohatsuGuru,

Will you please explain what an “unregulated voltage” charging system is? Does this mean that this “charging system” puts out varied voltage depending on engine rpm, ambient temperature, age and many other variables? If that is the case then 6 volts, 10 volts, 12 volts, and 14.4 volts may all be “valid” readings from this “charging system”. Would there be any invalid DC voltage reading from such a system? What exactly will this “charging system” charge up/replenish at 10 volts? I’m not “knocking the system/design/brand” just to complain; but I would like to learn.

Camaraderie,

You are an encyclopedia. Thank you again for the education! Some guys would charge tuition for info you put out on this forum. Thank’s again for the instruction!

hlkaulfman Lee,

Based on TohatsuGuru’s answer(s) it sounds like I may have to retract what I said about the tech talking out of both sides of his mouth. It sounds like he/she is right and I am uninformed. It may be that this “charging system” is operating as designed. Meaning it only charges when and if the rpm of the engine allow it to produce a higher voltage output than the battery. If that’s is the case this “charging system” may in fact be operating as designed but incapable of recharging your battery under your normal operating conditions. In other words it may not be able to do what you bought it to do for you-by “design”. If that is the case then it sounds like the only way to get it to do what you want is to boost the rpm (smaller diamiater prop with a smaller angle of attach of the blades). When you get this figured out and working to your satisfaction I would be interested in knowing if this “charging system” is capable of doing what you wanted it to do for you. Good luck!

Respectfully,
Northbeach
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2007

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
hlkaulfman Lee,

Some time ago somebody on this forum recommended a book entitled The 12 volt Bible. I bought it and it is a wonderful resource. It would go a long way to demystifying your 12 volt system. I’m away from home and I don’t remember who the author is. But it would be easy to find. You may want to add it to your library.

Last edited by Northbeach; 12-28-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2007
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
"Unregulated" means that the voltage varies with RPM. With peak RPM comes peak charging capability. IE, you can only get the 5 amps at 5000 plus RPM. Depending on the boat characteristics, it is probable that the standard propeller shipped with this engine has too high of a pitch for the hull design/weight of the boat. Outboard manufacturers offer a variety of propeller pitches so that the individual user can maximize their performance.