Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Pete, I single hand a lot, specially when I am on vacation or with the kids&family , and sometimes have a crew of 10.

I have an assy that is installed on a bow sprit for racing, and have another one that is simply attached to the bow for when I sail alone. They are different beasts all together. I also have 2 sym spis, and only recentely I managed to set one (the smaller one) alone. It was hair raising.

I agree with Jeff, but if you can't prevent the problem don't search it...meaning, if you can't keep yourself out of the tangle, don't do it.

When I sail alone, I have what my son calls the "parking brake".

On the clew shackle (that should be lead thru a block on the bow so you can raise and lower the clew for sail draft control), I have a second line that allows the quick release of the shackle, then to bring the sail in, you pull on the sheet, behind the main, as you release the halyard.

These things all have methodology and principle of operation.

Getting in a mess is because one lacks the control of the things, or doesn't quite master the procedures and techniques, or if caused by weather, because one does not know what should be done.

I have had many many broaches, and hairy situations in my life, I never ever had an assy tangle on me.

Quantum is extremely good, and so is UK, NS from me, not for a while, thanks.

Doyle, they were very nice to me once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
I had a long talk with Bill James at FX sails regarding this very subject. I found it very informative with alot of practical information. I suggest you give him a call.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 12-27-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
we first used ours this summer, and although we are still greenhorns, were able to use it to great advantage when running. i think it is a fantastic sail, and easy to raise and lower with a snuffer (once you figger out where to properly lay all your lines).
we had a wrap around our forestay while limping in with a prop wrap, but that might just be to due inattention caused by said prop wrap. that was a bugger to get untangled.
still, with everything i have ever heard or read about symmetricals i would rather go with this sail (not that i have a choice; i have a pole but no sym. spinnaker for fainleog)
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
asym

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegingras View Post
Well, Iíve come to realize that my speed has to be increased, and itís apparent to me that the Asymmetrical spinnaker can add the speed and allow for continued single handing, if not easy direction to myriad landlubber crews.
Hello,

My last boat, a Newport 28, came with a standard spinnaker and an asym chute as well. I never used standard spinnaker but I did learn to use (and love) the asymmetic. It was in a sock and was very easy to set, trim, jibe, and douse.

I don't know if the chute will necessarily give you more speed. For me, I found that the asym would allow me to sail when before I would have motored. If you are out for just fun, the chute will give you more speed. But if you are headed somewhere, the chute may make the difference between motoring at 5-6 kts and sailing at 5-6 kts.

If you plan on flying it singlehanded (either REALLY singlehanded or just with an inexperienced crew) make sure you have a real good autopilot. If the AP can't handle the boat, you will have a hard time with the chute.

When my budget allows, I plan on buying an asymmetric spinnaker in sock for my current boat.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 12-27-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I really like the A-sail on my boat. If ya get one, don't get caught in the midst of setting it in a 30 knot puff. It's ahh..., exhilarating? Also, make sure ya make the snuffer line tight while ya hoist it shorthanded. It sucks when the chute self deploys in said 30 knot puff and the line is 12' off the beam and out of reach.
Old 12-27-2007

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Dave,

What did you buy an asymetric? I'm interested because i sail the hunter 44DS.

pete
Old 12-27-2007

petegingras is on a distinguished road
to all that corrected my misuse of speed, I did mean, constant speed in light winds instead of motoring, or adding to top speed.

i have confidence in my autohelm, but omitted that salient point earlier.
Old 12-27-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegingras View Post
Dave,

What did you buy an asymetric? I'm interested because i sail the hunter 44DS.

pete
I will buy an Asym.
I had a real good quote from Bill which included an ATN sock and Tacker, about a 1420 sq ft sail for under 3 grand. I was all set to buy it when my wife decided that the money would be better spent on my son's collage tuition. (somebody's got their priorities all screwed up ) I plan on ordering the sail this winter.
2007 Hunter 49

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.