Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-28-2007

studwellboiman31 is on a distinguished road
Shore Power Question

This is my first post on this forum so hello everyone. I am currently on the market for a sailboat and will be trying to move aboard this spring if I find the right boat. I have been trying to sort out my criteria for what makes a boat "right" for me. One thing that I have stumbled on is that many boats don't have any inherent shore power system and many of those that do aren't anything I would want. What is invlolved in fitting out a boat with a proper AC system? I am planning on living pretty minimally so don't anticipate needing more than 2 or 3 15A outlets. Is this an instalation I can do myself with a fairly basic understanding of electrical systems? How much will it cost? Is this such a huge undertaking that I should change my boat searching criterea to include only boats with AC already installed? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Aside from houseboats and luxury yachts, very few boats waste a lot of time with fancy AC systems. They're just no use when you are out sailing.

A "proper" light duty AC system would mean a shore power cable, a ground fault interrupt (GFI) safety device, adding an AC breaker to the panel, and running some AC wiring and receptacles on the boat. Couple of hundred bucks and one long day or casual weekend to install it all if you are familiar with it. More expensive if you are hiring labor.

If you check out suppliers (west marine, boatUS, articles here on Sailnet) and manufacturers (blue seas systems, etc.) you'll find drawings and descriptions of what a system needs and why.

You may or may not also need a galvanic isolator or isolation transformer, either one is a good idea but not always necessary.

Minimally? You can buy a shore power cord with the GFI device built into it, run it in through a hatch, plug in an extension cord with three sockets and you're finished for around $100. Minimally, but it will get you going while you're doing the rest of the work.
Old 12-28-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I just happened to be reading the chapter in Nigel Calder's book on the subject. A galvanic isolator, or an isolation transformer (better), should be used in order to protect you, and swimmers around your boat, from shock. In addition, to protect your boat, and other boats from galvanic corrosion, you should have either of these devices. The isolation transformer will do a better job of protecting your boat from corrosion.

If you are eager to study and learn how to wire a boat, then by all means have at it. However, there are nuances of wiring that you will need to learn.(like the connection into a circuit box should come from the bottom only) Otherwise I would strongly suggest that you pay the price, and hire a professional. Remember elecrticity and water DO mix - usually with catastrophic results.

FWIW - Nigel Calder's book is the Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. It is well worth the $50 investment, IF you take the time to read it.

Ed

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-28-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: corrected price of the book
Old 12-28-2007

FortAwesomeIII is on a distinguished road
Another consideration is using a window unit while you are at dock. My marina flooded this summer and had no electricity. Consequently, I had to use a generator to run my ACs for a couple of months. Being the frugal person I am, I bought a cheap Big Lots generator which put out sus-standard power that managed to slowly ruin BOTH ACs! One was on it's way out anyway and the other was fair, but it still cost quite a bit(about $2500) to replace the two.

Anyways...the moral of the story is I bought a cheap($75) window unit and rigged it to fit the companionway while I waited for a deal on ACs to pop up and to install mine. It's not a very eye-pleasing option, but it worked!
"I couldn't do the things the way those people do.
I couldn't live there if you paid me to. "
The Talking Heads
Old 12-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
All of which (above) begs the question, by AC, you you mean 110VAC power to air conditioning? Either is simple to do but not so simple to do correctly.

Last edited by k1vsk; 12-28-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Hey,
John,
you simply have to post your pics of Fort Awesome. (cuz it is.... awesome)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
AC usually refers to Alternating Current... or 120 VAC electricity. A/C usually refers to Air Conditioning.

A basic shorepower system consists of a shore power cord, a shore power inlet plug, a double 30 Amp circuit breaker—to break the hot and neutral lines, a GFCI-protected outlet or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-29-2007

studwellboiman31 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all of your responses, and yes I do mean 110VAC not air conditioning. I will probably pay to have the labor done by a proffesional but it is good to know that it's not a deal breaker when searching for the "right boat". Thanks again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.