Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-29-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Water in the rudder - now what?

I have a wet rudder (on the inside, not just the outside). There are rusty stains coming out of cracks about 4" up from the bottom edge. I've pulled the rudder and it's sitting at my house. I'm not sure what to do with it next. Casey recommends drilling a series of 3/16" holes through it to let it dry out, but I'm not sure if the rudder stock is damaged inside. Is drying it out "good enough," or should I take more drastic measures like splitting it, or building a new one, before epoxying, glassing, and fairing?

Cheers,
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
If it seems solid then just drill a couple of small holes in the bottom and let it drain for a while. Then epoxy it and it should be OK.

Good Luck, worked for me once.

Gary
Old 12-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Agree that if you are able to dry it out, and reseal the drain holes and repair the crack you should be OK.

You might want to put the stock in a vise (protect it from scoring) and make sure the blade is still solid to the shaft.
Old 12-30-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Drill holes at bottom, let it dry over the winter, seal it up and your good to go . Did the same thing last winter and had no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 12-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Phil-

The question is whether the internal stainless steel stock and webbing is still in good shape? If the water has caused the stainless steel to corrode and weakened it, letting it dry out isn't going to leave you with a safe to use rudder.

Splitting it is the only way you'll be able to inspect the stock and webbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoyer View Post
I have a wet rudder (on the inside, not just the outside). There are rusty stains coming out of cracks about 4" up from the bottom edge. I've pulled the rudder and it's sitting at my house. I'm not sure what to do with it next. Casey recommends drilling a series of 3/16" holes through it to let it dry out, but I'm not sure if the rudder stock is damaged inside. Is drying it out "good enough," or should I take more drastic measures like splitting it, or building a new one, before epoxying, glassing, and fairing?

Cheers,
Phil

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-30-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
if it's never been done, i would split it. cs rudders have this problem, and ours was split and rebuilt a few years ago. rust tells you water has gotten to the ss, but you can never know the condition without having a look. prudence suggests having a look and making sure the stock or web isn't swiss cheese.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rusty stains mean you need to split it open and do a full repair/rebuild for safety sake.
Old 12-30-2007
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Age of boat?

You don't say how old your boat is, but if it is from the 70s or 80s chances are good that that webbing in the rudder is not stainless steel but carbon steel. This was the practice followed by reputable builders of the time like C&C, Tartan and Hinterhoeller and, I assume many others. I guess they thought that water could never get that far into the rudder to cause a problem. I split and rebuilt the rudder on my Niagara 35 because of rusty water coming out around the rudder shaft each winter. I tried the drying hole approach a couple of years and it did not really help.

I carefully split the rudder into two halves and removed the filler to get at the shaft and web. Had a machine shop add a stainless web to the shaft and then put the two halves together and joined the edges with wide fibreglas tape. I used WEST epoxy and aluminum filler to seal the rudder and put 5200 around the shaft to try to keep water out in future - likely to need replacement from time to time as the shaft and rudder have different expansion rates.
Old 12-30-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Excellent advice everyone! Thank you. Sailingdog, you answered the question of split or not, and how to tell the next step. I appreciate it. I'll take in in my basement, dry it out with the hole method for a couple of weeks, and then split it apart. It's a thin fiberglass shell over foam, so even if I put new webbing on it, I should be able to fit it back into the shell without any troubles.

Thanks again! I'll send some pictures along when I get the project under way.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 12-30-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
It's irrelevant whether the webbing is stainless - the welds are the weak point and subject to rust failure. The only way to ensure it is structurally sound is to split it and inspect/repair. The rust colored water is usually a show-stopper indication of weld failure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.