Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-30-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
deck paint... or gel coat...

Below is a photo of my foredeck, and as you can see it's a big footworn. My question for the learned panel is: Should I paint this with a two-part poly, or is it going to require gel coat? My understanding is that deck paint does not adhere to fiberglass, and as you can see in the picture, it's down to the glass. It's a substantial area, and it's not the only one needing attention. I appreciate your help!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...ber2007090.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Prime with Interlux Interprotect 2000E... then paint with whatever you want. Even though IP2000E is designed as a barrier coat, it works quite nicely as an all purpose primer for raw fiberglass.

BTW, sailhog, you really should trim your hooves a bit more often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I don't see any crazing, just wear from heavy use. I personally like the Kiwi stuff that was talked about a few times here on sailnet. It's water proof, durable and has good non skid properties. It is offered in a few colors also.
Old 12-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I put Interlux Deckote (?) - a single part polyeurethane on our cockpit sole this past summer (a treadmaster-like glue-on had had to be removed)

It went on easily and uniformly, excellent non skid properties and so far is standing up well. It's very thick but rolls out nicely with a short-nap mini roller The gelcoated glass had been sanded prior with 220.

Limited colours are available, I used their white.
Old 12-30-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
SH, in looking at your deck it appears to have a molded in "square" nonskid surface laminated into the deck pattern. The only drawback of using just a two part epoxy (ie awlgrip) is that it gets very slick and not too safe unless a small amount of silica sand or similar product is included in the mix. I would do a test on a seperate piece of board to get the mix correct. That would leave your moulded in deck pattern intact. I did this about 7 years ago to my boat and it still looks reasonably well, but I'm considering a repaint soon. A previous poster mentioned the kiwi non skid as previously discussed and I just recently received a sample in the mail. It really looks super nice, but if you apply it you will loose your original moulded in "squares". I am seriously thinking of going with the kiwi brand as it looks well and the application process is pretty easy looking. I am going to order extra rollers from kiwi, if I go that way, as the pattern is determined by their supplied roller. If I use the kiwi version I will have to paint the smooth areas, not previously nonskidded, first and then apply the non skid last. Good luck, I'm sure no matter which way you go that you will be pleased with the new look and feel of your work. If that pattern is not molded into your deck (my eyes don't work like they used to) then your choice is the same only you can now add more silica sand to the epoxy paint mix. IMHO awlgrip wears on deck surfaces like iron and does not chip easily. I've found that Imron chips and is a "softer paint". Hope my 2 cents helps in a little way........Happy New Year all, fair winds and following seas................

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 12-31-2007

Thanks, gents! Think I'll try the Interlux Interprotect with coat of the Kiwi on top... There's a six-pak waiting for any of you who might want to put in a few days of hard labor on the boat... Any takers? Bud Lite? Milwaukee's Best?
Old 12-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
six pack of what???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
six pack of what???
Oh, so I suppose you're too good for Milwaukee's Best? SD, that beer is the very best Milwaukee has ever made. It costs almost $3 just for a six-pak.