Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Answer me this ( a book question )

Say your floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a log raft that is tired together with the hairs off your back.

Floating to your port is all the electronics & appliances you could ever want, Floating to starboard is all the material you'll ever need, sinking off your bow amonst a herd of man eating sea monkeys are two books;

" Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual " by Nigel Calder,

the other

" Sailboat Electrics Simplified " by Don Casey

You only have time to grab one before you're ravaged by these snorkling little monkeys

Which one do you grab ????

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'd grab Nigel's.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Trick Question! If your floating on a log raft you won't need the info contained in either. But if I HAD to, I'd take Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual.

If you had givin a choice for Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook by Charlie Wing, then it'd be a harder choice.
Old 12-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to vote for Nigel Calder's...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Does either book have anything on detox? You need something to remove those snorkling monkeys from your vision. After that they may help with DIY mid-ocean raft construction and maintenance.
Old 12-31-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Nigel Calder's book is a great book and I have it. But it doesn't go deep enough into the electrical side of things for me. Reading it, I still had a lot of questions without answers.
Old 12-31-2007
Seńor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Another vote for Nigel

I've got both -- and would go for Nigel's first if I had to choose. Both cover electrics fairly well, but with Calder's you get all the other info as well.

Like an earlier response, neither one of them is the be-all end-all that will answer all of the mysteries of the universe (or in this case electrics, which at times can be mysterious enough for me.) However, Calder's is just as easy to follow as Casey's and it does go into the subject a little deeper.

Best of luck with those monkeys -- be careful, THEY BITE!!!
Old 12-31-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'd probably lean towards Calder's book. It's 832 pages vs. 176 pages so there would be more reading to pass the time and I could use the extra pages to possibly seal holes in the raft. I wouldn't have to worry too much about the seaworthiness of the raft though. If it's tied together using the hairs off my my back it's strong!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-31-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Does either come in hardback for swatting dead the little bastard seamonkies?
Old 12-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eww... gross... way too much information...
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I'd probably lean towards Calder's book. It's 832 pages vs. 176 pages so there would be more reading to pass the time and I could use the extra pages to possibly seal holes in the raft. I wouldn't have to worry too much about the seaworthiness of the raft though. If it's tied together using the hairs off my my back it's strong!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.