Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some of the newer ski gloves have little vents that you can breathe into to warm the interior of the glove up. From what I've been told they work fairly well...but I don't own a set... stopped skiing years ago....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
My take..

I'm a sailor, winter alpine climber, tele-skier, ice climber etc.. After spending nearly $600.00 on a Henri LLoyd jacket for an offshore trip I was sure glad I had my mountain climbing shell with me!

I had a Patagonia Gore-Tex mountaineering jacket with me that I paid $229.00 for that blew away my $600.00 Henri Lloyd.

Climbing jackets are designed to move freely. Your arms can move easily and the hood is articulated as well as the arms. They also tend to have better venting and are lighter in weight.

Wearing my Henri Lloyd was like wearing a firemans suit. Totally uncomfortable! It also did not breath worth a darn, and the fleece lined collar just collected salt spray and irritated my neck. The collar was so stiff it chaffed my ears until they bled. This was the point where I actually dug our my Patagonia. Granted it was a windy and wet trip but this is what the Lloyd stuff is supposed to be designed for. The hood on my Lloyd was designed like it was an afterthought. "Oh crap we forgot to put a hood on this jacket quick send a drawing to the guys in China before they go into production..." ????!!!

Since that experience I truly feel bad for people wearing "marine foulies". The design of the high altitude gear sold at Patagonia, The North Face, EMS, REI, Backcountry.com etc. etc. is meant to withstand winds of 80+mph snow, ice and freezing rain while remaining easy to move in and waterproof + breathable. Buy yourself a nice 3 layer Gore-tex shell from North Face, Patagonia, EMS, Mountain Hardwear, Arc'teryx, Cloudveil, Marmot or one of the other quality names and you'll be fine, most likely pay less and be far more comfortable and able to move.

The one thing you will miss on many alpine jackets is a waterproof drip cuff but honestly it's never been an issue for me. The key is fit, fit, fit! make sure you can fit your chin in the collar when the jacket is zipped all the way up and it's not strangling you. make sure you get a hood with good "cinching" and that seals well around your face. If it's real nasty weather a pair of ski goggles is a very nice supplement to your foul weather gear..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Halekai-

Your chandler must rip you off... I got my top-of-line Musto MPX jacket for about the same price as you got your Patagonia... and never had a problem with it—other than the sleeves being a bit long.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Halekai-

Your chandler must rip you off... I got my top-of-line Musto MPX jacket for about the same price as you got your Patagonia... and never had a problem with it—other than the sleeves being a bit long.
Sorry that price was for jacket and bibs my mistake. If I racall the jacket was the major portion of that $600.00 though.

By the way the Musto gear is actually better fitting and has at least some articulation when compared to the Lloyd "astronaut suit" and that's not a bad price for a Musto. I still prefer my alpine gear though for it's fit, breathability and freedom of movement..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

The Henri Lloyd gear must use mannikins to do the design... can't move in it at all... That's one reason I went with the musto gear. BTW, the Musto I got is off-shore quality, which is a lot more durable and heavy duty compared to the coastal stuff. The coastal gear is crap compared to most of the winter ski gear I've used or the offshore foulies.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-03-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I have very little use for Gore tex. Sooner or later (usually sooner rather than later) it weeps water the wrong direction, especially in harsh conditions. Yeah, I have a fancy offshore modern gear I wear when conditions are semi-tough, but when staying dry is really important I put on my godawful-neon-pink totally impermeable oilskins, bought in Nova Scotia at a fisherman's store. Fisherman's gear kept me dry through three Transatlantic races and a dozen Bermudas etc and I wouldn't go offshore without them
Old 01-03-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I have worn an old fashioned yellow rain suit over everything else I had on. It kept me dry. Think Gloucester fisherman......
The trouble with the traditional yellow suits is that they are coated and not breathable. If you are reasonably active for a bit, working on the deck, for example, the perspiration you generate will end up soaking the inner layers of clothing, which will guarantee that you get cold.

The breathable stuff is expensive (perhaps $700 for a full suit) but worth every penny IMHO.
Old 01-03-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The Henri Lloyd gear must use mannikins to do the design... can't move in it at all... That's one reason I went with the musto gear. BTW, the Musto I got is off-shore quality, which is a lot more durable and heavy duty compared to the coastal stuff. The coastal gear is crap compared to most of the winter ski gear I've used or the offshore foulies.
That was the point I was making about trying it on. Everyone's body shape is different, and any brand of clothing is not going to fit everyone equally well.
So don't try to save a few bucks by buying it online -- go to a store or stores where you can actually try it for size and flexibility of movement.
Old 01-03-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I've been thinking about heated clothing too, like the kind bike riders use when they ride motorcycles in very cold weather. It's low voltage so you don't have to worry about electrocuting yourself I don't think But I would make sure before I tried it on a boat.

I use an electric vest on the bike and on the boat. It's is just like getting inside a toaster. I have had it soaked in rain water and it worked fine. It is 12 volt and you need a thermostat controller or you will be turning it on and off.
The vest it self is made with thinsulate and is warm by itself.
I wear pollypropolene long underwear next to my skin, vest, light wool sweater and my leathers.
On the boat if I get a chill I just put it on and in just a jiffy I am warm. I am not sure what salt water will do.
Old 01-03-2008

ekotopia is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I just heard from a motor cycle guy - that there are suits with 12 volt hook-up. that warms U up almost instantly. Would be a good idea to have under the foulies- unless thinking of moving around a lot ( dancing etc )
Cheers