Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2008

jbrockpiano is on a distinguished road
instaling raydome on mast

When installing a Raydome on a sailboat mast must the cable run down the inside of the mast or is there a way to safely attach the cable to the outside ? My boat requires a crane to unstep / step the mast.

Thanks
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
The cable is pretty thick and heavy. Running it on the outside may be a temp solution with a generous number of wire ties but you would still need to get into the boat to route it to the nav station or helm. Might as well bite the bullet and do it right the first time.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the mast is deck-stepped, it may make more sense to run it down the outside of the mast, but it would be far more vulnerable to damage.... so you're probably better off running down the inside of the mast. This is especially true if you have a keel stepped mast, since then you can run it directly into the interior of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-03-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Doing it right the first time however, may mean considering alternative mounts...such as a stern pole or backstay. I went the backstay route with Sea Quest and have been reasonably satisfied, but I have often wished I had put the antenna at the 1st spreader or higher.
You should avoid having to cut the cable.
Howard Keiper
Old 01-03-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Howard- Thats a good point. JB might want to investigate alternative mounting such as a Raydome mast or the backstay. I would do the mast so I could mount a crane on it for the dingy motor. As a side note my marina charges me extra to unstep and store the mast because of the raydome on it.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 01-03-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
You shouldn't need to unstep the mast to run the cable. When we had ours installed, they drilled the hole where the bracket was placed and fished the cable down our keel stepped mast, egressing where our other cables came out a few feet above its foot.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-04-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
My experience

When I installed my Raymarine Radar unit - I opted to install it on the mast above the spreaders.

Somethings to be concerned about:

1. Regardless how good of a sailor you are - the Genoa will always get snagged by it - at the worst opportune time. In hindsight - I really - really - really wished I would of spent the extra money for the pole for stern mounting. The drawback to the stern pole is that it doesn't get the range that mounting on the mast gives.

2. If you have an aluminum mast - make sure the bracket is pop riveted to the mast. Using screws - it will only be a matter of time before the stresses working on the mast - start popping out the screws.

3. The cabling - your original question.

a. If possible and you can mount it through deck plate - a far better route to go. However, make sure you or someone that has experience splicing the radar cable - can give you a disconnect. The drawback is cost - being both the splicing and having to lift the mast.

b. If you decide to go with the out of the mast and into the deck approach... Another set of problems.

First being that you now have another deck obstruction (Maybe for some that is not an issue - was for me) - and you most likely will have to do a pretty hard angle on the cable to avoid the cable interfering with any of the blocks for your lines.

Second - most of those watertight deck cabling systems - simply do not work. I used three major brands that I got from Fisheries and even using the proper sealants etc - after one summer - every single one had leaked. It doesn't last long for the exposed silicon or other sealants begin cracking due to weather, and UV etc, rather rapidly and water always find a way to get in...So, if you must do the deck (and even in mast) - then do the piping were the water can not get in and build a box around it... (again refer to issue #1) - however, again considering the size of the connector for the cable - it almost is impractical to do so...Lastly, on this note - the hole to feed the cable through will be generally way bigger than the cable diameter due to the connector (cable is less than .5 inches but a 2 inch or 2.5 inch whole will be needed to feed the cable if no disconnect).

Thirdly - at some time you will have to dis-mast. If you never had it spliced with a disconnect - figure on a good 20 minutes to pull back the cable from wherever you installed the main display unit. No matter if you did 1 or 2.

Personally having done the mast install method - I will never again do so with a fractional rig setup. It all looks good on paper but the real world issues of constantly having to work around the limitations, especially when under sail and tacking - far outweigh the costs of the stern mounted options.

If going with a stern mounted option - look at also solving the issue of whether or not you want dingy storage, hanging solar panels etc... spending just a bit extra - will go a long way as now you will have a radar arch with davits and the likes... If you plan on or are a blue water cruiser - you will most definitely reap the rewards and investment costs off making that decision.

That has been my experience having done the mast install - and not being able to run it through the mast, unable to get someone to do the proper disconnect, and having to do a budget cable thru-deck approach.
Old 01-04-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Good post.
I would like to modify one impression it leaves. There should be a reluctance to cut the cable, but that's not to say it can't be done. Going into it with the sense that it can can change your thinking. A competent technician certainly can cut and re-terminate it for you.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley
Old 01-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Keip...For sure...You have to be careful in cutting it but a cut is absolutely necessary in some installations. (How do you take your mast off the boat otherwise? )
I did mine with a good micro-terminal block then "sealed it wit metal foil as a shield. Worked out well.
Old 01-04-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
"Personally having done the mast install method - I will never again do so with a fractional rig setup. It all looks good on paper but the real world issues of constantly having to work around the limitations, especially when under sail and tacking - far outweigh the costs of the stern mounted options. "

The above seems the opposite of what my thinking is. I thought with a fractional the headsail is not an issue since you can mount it above the forestay. what am i missing? I have a masthead rig and have not put my TV antenna on the mast due to headsail considerations

Last edited by jackytdunaway; 01-04-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.