Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2008
Sailed it!

tcase10 is on a distinguished road
Unknown diesel engine

I have come across a boat with a diesel engine, but I can't find any information on the engine. The ID plate reads Shuangniao Diesel Engine. Model 280WAC. Hangzhou General Diesel Works, The Peoples Republic of China. It also has other Japanese letters inscribed that, unfortunately, I can't read. I did find some information on the internet about the 280WAC and emailed the company, but did not receive a response.

Does anyone have any information on this engine?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Is this boat in Mandeville, LA? I've only seen one and I can't imagine there's another in a sailboat somewhere. I'm just leaving the office, so I'll have more to say when I get home. If you read this in the meantime, please let me know if it's in Mandeville - I'm dying to hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to post a photo of the engine in question. See this post for instructions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-03-2008
Sailed it!

NOLASailing, the boat is in Mandeville, LA. I have seen your boat around. I have a catalina 22 at the same marina. When did you see this boat? Can you tell me anything about the engine or boat?

Sailingdog, here is the link to photos.
Old 01-03-2008
Sailed it!

It looks like the link to photobucket did not work. I will try again.

Last edited by tcase10; 01-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2008
Sailed it!

Hey NOLAsailing, here is another post I started. I am just trying to find information about the boat. Bombay Clipper 31
Old 01-04-2008

Too funny - I didn't think there could be two Shuangniao diesels out there. I saw this motor a few months ago when the owner was having an overheating problem. It was tracked down to a failed impeller and the owner had a heck of a time finding a replacement. In fact, he had to get close enough by modifying the impeller and making an extra thick gasket.

It was at this time that I tried finding some information about this motor.

And there's the rub. Parts for this engine are going to be a nightmare. If you can't find a suitable replacement that's "close enough," then you'll have to rig something. China wasn't exporting a bunch of marine diesels in the seventies. My personal hunch is that whoever owned this boat found himself needing a repower and somehow located and marinized an old Chinese diesel tractor motor.

This particular motor does emit a lot of black smoke, so there's an issue with fuel delivery. Fixing that may be as easy as having the injectors cleaned or quite difficult, depending on what the source of the problem is. Frankly, the motor is the biggest challenge for this boat. If you buy the boat, I would go into it expecting to replace the motor at some point down the line, as when it has a major failure, it is likely to be terminal given it's uniqueness - not that that should be a deal killer if you like the boat.

I don't know much about the pedigree of the boat, but from what I can observe it is quite heavily constructed. It has a fair amount of sheer and it probably very dry. It also has pretty nice lines which, to me, isn't as obvious in the slip. The first time I saw it head out, I was actually a little surprised when I saw the whole boat in profile. It looks, to me, a lot like a bigger Island Packet 27. The interior layout is interesting and, when cleaned up, would probably be very comfortable.

The owners are extremely nice people - very, very pleasant. They've also made the trek in from Texas quite a bit to check on the boat and spend weekends aboard. It has not sat neglected, though it was not sailed much. I don't think the owners had much sailing experience at all - they would usually just unfurl the jib and cruise a little bit near the bayou before returning to the slip.

I'll host the photos on my site so everyone else can see them.

By the way, if I'm on my boat, please come introduce yourself. It would be great to meet you in person. I am bringing the boat to the southshore tomorrow morning for some work, but it should be back in about six weeks. If you want to come along for some racing, we've always got room.

Last edited by NOLAsailing; 01-04-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2008

Here are the photos of the motor:

Old 01-04-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
What a lovely anchor.
Old 01-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

Be nice...they could say that about Alchemy, with a few judiciously placed holes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.