Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-03-2008
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Mainsail cover w LazyJacks Attached?

Where did I see that? Giu? Looks like a pouch instead of the usual "over the top after it's dropped" kind. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I wanted to try to do some sewing this winter.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
The Stack-Pak?
Old 01-03-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Denise should I measure my boom ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Yes, though I don't remember iin which thread, Giu does have something similar to the Doyle StackPack. The lazy jack lines come down to the top of the cover, rather than to the boom.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-03-2008

Dunlookn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Denise:

Check out the Doyle Stack Pack website (and associated web search results talking about the system).

You will find some good info on who is using it, who likes it, and why.
Old 01-03-2008

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
i had an estimate of $1600.00 for one of those. i'd like to try my hand at making one.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 01-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Denise, I do have that system for my crusing sails.

My Main sail's foot is lose, so the sail only attaches at the clew and tack.

What I did is install a track on my boom, for the lazy bag to slide thru, and thus attaching it to the boom. This is known as a Lazy bag, which is a lazy jack, but the lines go to the bag instead of going to the boom.

See this thread here please.

Should you have any more questions, please just ask.
Old 01-04-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Sailrite has a kit and all other necessary items...reasonable include the bolt rope as the bag is attached to the boom. They also have a CD or book which diagrams (cheap) and you buy the equpment. The book also has other canvass projects.

To anyone who has this system= is there and extra windage or material flapping around with these stac pacs. The one on the one I chartered in the Carribean was noisy and also since the sail sits folded in the bag on top of the boom created windage at anchor the made us swing some. With just the lazy jacks your sail is flaked on the book and is more compact. The inherent safety is you dont have to tie the sails up like you you do with just a lazy jack system so less time spent topside. I have stayed with the traditional jacks so far for this reason. I know the Dutchman is a great system, but I already have enough holes in my sail with the reef points.

Dave
Old 01-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Chef.

I have the system I described above and don't see much windage, I think its pretty negligenciable.

My sail once inside the bag and the zipper closed flattens out and its not that bulky.

I do admit the bag is ugly and I don't like it and it affects performance as it "bolcks" the lower end of the sail. I use it when I cruise with the family where I need to single hand for a month and half, and admit the convenience is wonderfull.

It is noisy, but I solved the problem by keeping it snug, and by tying the front end.

Once the sail is closed, I lift the boom slightly to flatten the bag even more, because that removes tension from the lazy lines.

Old 01-04-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Doyle StackPack is designed with a membrane from the lower part of the sail to the cover, that holds it tight to the sail when the sail is raised. As far as I know, this is patented by Doyle.

When I drop the sail into my StackPack, I flake it out, just the same as any other mainsail. It does set slightly higher on the boom, but not by much.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog