Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
sabres and vinylester

i may be wrong here, but my '90 sabre had vinylester on the hull when i bought her in '06..maybe craig is just going w/ what's currently on the boat.
my hull is blister free and minus some small glass repair around the rudder skeg, the vinylester has held up for 17 yrs.
one thing about sabres i'm told is the "sabre keel crack"..(my sis's boat a 34' and mine being the representative statistical sample used here), a little cloth and resin and she is almost good as new...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Hello All,

I received a response from Craig Bumgarner out a Zahniser's... Here's what he had to say on the subject. I think it's great how helpful they've been. My text is in BOLD (Try not to get mixed up between the Craig's)

Craig Harbauer wrote:
Hello Craig,

I was wondering if you could help me out with a few simple questions. Iíve read your articles on bottom repair / maintenance and found them most helpful.

Iíve just bought my first boat and itís currently in North Carolina. The bottom has been peeled / stripped as is described in your article and Iíd like to put a Vinylester barrier coat on it.

If you are not adding glass to the bottom, epoxy barrier coats work as well or better than vinylester and are easier to apply and acheive an acceptable finish. Vinyesters do not apply very well. They tend to run easily and are not "self-leveling" So once you have your coats on, you have to sand. When you sand, you thin out the barrier. It doesn't matter too much if the barrier coat is over a new VE laminate, but over an old PE laminate, it can set up up for failure. We do not use VE barriers except where we have laid some new laminte with VE and glass, otherwise, we use the Interprotect epoxy system.
My boat is a Sabre 34 Shoal Keel. I understand 6 coats is what you recommend.

More is always better whether it is VE or epoxy. There are structural and practical limits, but with Interprotect, we like a minimum of six coats, ten is better. With VE, you want a finished thickness of .020", but for the aforementioned reasons, this is very hard to maintane during the sanding process.
Which brand do you recommend?

Interlux Interprotect epoxy. Interplastics 8121 Vinylester Coresin.

How many gallons would you estimate that I needed?
1 to 1.5 gallons per coat.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Your welcome, hope it helps.
--

Craig Bumgarner
Service Manager
Zahniser's Yachting Center
245 C Street, PO Box 760
Solomons, MD 20688
410-326-2166
http://www.zahnisers.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, you're going to be using an epoxy barrier coat I take it...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-30-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
and another thing ...

I, too, was interested in the VE barrier coat based on Zahniser's web site.
But I found absolutely no supporting information as to how to prepare the surface, apply the product, how much is required, overcoating times, etc. I even emailed one of the manufacturers -- no response.

For those of us who might do this job once per boat owned, the learning curve is a steep one.

If you look at the information provided by Interlux on their Interprotect product line, all of these questions are answered, in great detail. I have had the occasion to pose a couple of questions via email to Interlux's technical support folks, and on each occasion, received a prompt and complete response.

I may end up paying a bit more for the Interprotect product, but I feel comfortable with the hand-holding that I get from them.

I used Interprotect on my previous boat 10 years ago, when the barrier coat consisted of Interprotect 1000 and 2000, and the end result was as good as I had hoped for.

So this Spring, I will go with Interprotect again.
Old 01-30-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
So, you're going to be using an epoxy barrier coat I take it...
Yep.

I've put two of the heavy clear coats on already.. and sanded lightly after each coat.

I've got 6 coats on (of 12) of the thinner (4000?) epoxy...

After applying 3 coats, I fair out the rough spots and sand...

Then put on another 3 coats. Repeat.

Stupid Bottom.. grumble.. sand.. fair ... sand... roll.. sand...

I love
Old 02-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're using an epoxy that has Amine blush...don't for get to wash the blush off...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-02-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you're using an epoxy that has Amine blush...don't for get to wash the blush off...
Yep! Thanks!

I love