Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2008

adamtroyg is on a distinguished road
Wanted to thank everyone for the input. I'm going to check on the boat over the weekend and survey the situation more closely. I guessed ( based on the screw head type) they were simply screwed threw the fiberglass into the wooding core. But it does seem more likely to be throughbolted with a nut ( & backing plate ) for extra strenght.
Old 01-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
On a Sabre 28, which is a fairly well-made boat, I'd expect them to be through bolted. The only way I can see them being screwed to the deck is if the PO re-did them in a very half-assed way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

adamtroyg is on a distinguished road
Right again saildog ! Just looking through my old posts to see if there was any new information. And you are right , they are nuts and bolts, some with backer plates, so i need 2 people for the job.
I've assembled the parts and tools for the job and waiting 'till next sunday/monday, for my Dad to help with the removal, rebedding and replacement. I know it's fathers day weekend & i have some guilt about putting the old guy to work. but he gets to race my sabre this saturday, our sailing club has a fathers day race.
Old 06-09-2008

rheaton is on a distinguished road
Found a nice way to make this a one man job. Use a hack saw to cut a notch into a nut of the same size as the one on your bolt. From below put this nut onto the bolt and clamp it with vise grips. this will keep the bolt from spinning. you can then hold the bolt still, and twist the holding nut with another wrench. works nicely.
Old 06-09-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaton View Post
Found a nice way to make this a one man job. Use a hack saw to cut a notch into a nut of the same size as the one on your bolt. From below put this nut onto the bolt and clamp it with vise grips. this will keep the bolt from spinning. you can then hold the bolt still, and twist the holding nut with another wrench. works nicely.
I'm not sure I really followed you on the notch thing, but I've definitely used vice grips to hold nuts while I spin the bolt. Generally there is something in the way to keep the vice grips from turning...

Now you only have to climb into that dark little corner 4 times per stanchion!

The best is a buddy sitting on your deck with a screwdriver in one hand and the beer you supplied him in the other.
Old 06-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I'm not sure I really followed you on the notch thing, but I've definitely used vice grips to hold nuts while I spin the bolt. Generally there is something in the way to keep the vice grips from turning...
I did not follow the notch thing either. I have also worked on boats that you could not get a vise grip into the area to keep the nut from spinning.
Old 06-09-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for resurrecting this thread... i will be re-bedding at some point this fall. What i'm unclear about is what kind of sealant to use... not 5200, that much i know.

Old 06-09-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
I rebedded a stanchion and my pushpit (along with some other assorted deck hardware) this spring and I used 3M101 - a polysulfide sealant. It has relatively low adhesive power, but will stay soft and watertight for a long time. It is also easy to remove WHEN you have to remove it.

And as Halekai will be quick to point out, you don't need a ton of adhesive power on such a strong mechanical attachment.

I would second other's comments here and over-drill-and-fill all holes, then countersink the new ones.
Old 06-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I used silkaflex 291, because it does have a good adhesive power and is flexable.

If you drill new holes you may want to pot them with epoxy, you may also want to do that even if you don't drill new holes.
Old 06-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the fastener holes go through cored laminate and you're not sure about whether the holes were properly potted or not... you should definitely pot them before proceeding. If you're going to bother with all this work, you might as well do it right.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.