Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-09-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaton View Post
Found a nice way to make this a one man job. Use a hack saw to cut a notch into a nut of the same size as the one on your bolt. From below put this nut onto the bolt and clamp it with vise grips. this will keep the bolt from spinning. you can then hold the bolt still, and twist the holding nut with another wrench. works nicely.

I believe what Rheaton is saying is that he cut all the way through one side of a nut. (Rather than a notch). He then threaded the nut onto the bottom of the bolt below the actual nut he was tightening and then grabbed it with the vice grips. The nut having been cut through on one side became a clamp on the threads of the bolt holding it firmly.
Damn good idea in theory.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Guys..

This job can be done most of the time, access permitting, from bellow deck with a rechargeable impact driver!

I have re-bedded LOTS of fittings solo with my simple and inexpensive Ryobi 18v impact driver. Honestly it works like magic! Brrrr, brrrr, brrrr and the nut comes off with no wrench or screw driver being used on the deck level! Brrrr, brrrr, brrrr and the nut goes back on with no wrench or screw driver on the deck side.. Be careful because with some of these it's very easy to over torque and snap a bolt clean off. The "IMPACT" effect allows you to tighten from one side in most cases..

Or a slightly higher quality tool with a lifetime warranty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-09-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
The key word here is access permitting. As far as using a rechargeable impact driver, good luck in keeping the screw driver in the slot on the bolt, up top. Most of the bolts have a slotted head.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
The key word here is access permitting. As far as using a rechargeable impact driver, good luck in keeping the screw driver in the slot on the bolt, up top. Most of the bolts have a slotted head.
I do this from under the deck on the nuts not from the top on the screws. So far, with ratchet extensions and or knuckles, I have been able to reach each and every stanchion base on my boat and re-bed every single one with only the impact driver and no screw driver or wrench is used on deck..

The whole point of me using the impact driver is it makes it an easy one person job without having to use Gorilla Tape and a pair of Vise Grips...

BTW if an impact driver will not fit, a pair of needle nose Vise Grips and Gorilla Tape will. Simply taping the vise grips to the underside of the deck, clamping the nut, with this tenacious tape has worked every single time for me.. Quick and easy but not as quick and easy as an impact driver..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-09-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
For better under deck access with a cordless, use an extension or one of those flexible ones that fit the drive (1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch) of your cordless and your universal 6 point deep well socket. That way there is no need to have access inside tight spots for the cordless.
Old 06-10-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Screwed in stanchions = screwed sailor... Sorry couldn't stop myself...
I'm going to rebed mine soon... The safest way is to get a don casey book to read through... Use the widest possible backing plates possible to avoid stress cracks around the base since when you need them, you really need them...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.