Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingRandy View Post
Who has used them that would like to comment?
I have, on 3 boats. Since you remove them every time you put the sail and sheets away, frequent inspection is automatic. They are great. The sheets slide around the shrouds without hanging up on anything. If the sail flogs, well, the clew is heavier and harder than the softshackle. It's not going to hurt you.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Just going back to dear old Tenuki's original post one thing I would not do would be to put the thimble into the eye of the sheets. To me it defeats the purpose of the 'soft' bit.

Me I think these 'soft' or as I know them 'dutch' shackles are a fabulous idea. They don't let go, are easy to make, dead easy to use once you've made them and the reduction of bulk from the two bowline system seems to be worthwhile. Even better maybe, you could (if you have new line that has not been chopped into two sheets) simple create a whipped eye half way and attach that to the shackle.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-24-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Just going back to dear old Tenuki's original post one thing I would not do would be to put the thimble into the eye of the sheets. To me it defeats the purpose of the 'soft' bit.

Me I think these 'soft' or as I know them 'dutch' shackles are a fabulous idea. They don't let go, are easy to make, dead easy to use once you've made them and the reduction of bulk from the two bowline system seems to be worthwhile. Even better maybe, you could (if you have new line that has not been chopped into two sheets) simple create a whipped eye half way and attach that to the shackle.
Pretty smart for a fuzzy oversized rodent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-24-2011
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Sticker Shock!

Wow!
The cheapest soft shackles at the Colligo site are $29 and $35 which is not totally outrageous as far as shackles go, unless you think of them as short pieces of rope, which they are. The larger ones go for $89 to $159 each. They don't say what size line is used for each "softie"; they are sized by SWL. The SWL of a line will vary according to how big a safety factor is desired. FWIW, Redden Marine sells 3/16" Amsteel Blue for 68 cents a foot ("average strength" 5400lb), 3/8" for $2.08/ft (19,600 lb "average strength") and 1/2" (34,000 lb) for $2.90.

It looks like this is one area where DIY can really pay off.

Thanks allene222.

Old 01-24-2011

SilentLucidity is on a distinguished road
Hello, could these softies be trusted to tie two anchor chains together ?
Old 01-24-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLucidity View Post
Only if you really want to go aground...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
Wow!
The cheapest soft shackles at the Colligo site are $29 and $35 which is not totally outrageous as far as shackles go, unless you think of them as short pieces of rope, which they are. The larger ones go for $89 to $159 each. They don't say what size line is used for each "softie"; they are sized by SWL. The SWL of a line will vary according to how big a safety factor is desired. FWIW, Redden Marine sells 3/16" Amsteel Blue for 68 cents a foot ("average strength" 5400lb), 3/8" for $2.08/ft (19,600 lb "average strength") and 1/2" (34,000 lb) for $2.90.

It looks like this is one area where DIY can really pay off.

Thanks allene222.
There is a length calculator just a short way down this page:
Soft Shackles

If you make the one in the Colloigomarine video, it will be big enough to hold a jib bolt rope to the forestay and that is about it. Forget about putting any lines through it. That size uses about 3 feet of 3/16. Basically, all reasonable ones would use between 3 and 4 feet at $0.55 at LSF Marine means they are about $2 to make. My testing on ones made from 1/8 Amsteel used a 100:1 mechanical advantage on a winch handle and it was very hard to turn the winch. They are very strong. Even at that I did not break a shackle but broke a strand of 1/8 Amsteel between two shackles so they are stronger than the line they are made from. I think Colloigomarine's strongest shackle uses 3/16 line.

Allen
Old 01-25-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLucidity View Post
Err...I wouldn't. Too much happens underwater that you can't see. They could chafe on an underwater object. Plus, they have almost no stretch which is a function of shock absorption.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I haven't handled one of these yet, but it seems to me that there's very little to prevent them from popping open on their own. Is there no chance a wildly flogging jib clew might jostle it around enough to let the knot slide back through the loop?

I guess they'd be safe as long as a load is exerted, but I'm worried about what happens with repeated loading and unloading.

Also what about the issue of chafe on the shrouds every time you tack (again thinking about jib sheet attachment)?
Old 01-27-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Yes you will have to inspect for wear just the same as for wear on the jib or genoa sheet. Some soft shackles use the cover to close the eye . I like the posters use of a velcro strap to keep the eye closed in one of the links. That strap is like what is used around your pants leg on a bicycle, only a couple of dollars at a bike shop. Worth trying to make a couple of the shackles out of a bit of line to see how you like them.