Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
The easiest way to tell

The easiest way to tell if you have a wood core is to drill into it with a small pilot hole. Most owners of boats are 100% clueless to this "dirty little secret" about their boats so asking other owners most likely won't get you anywhere.

Catalina offers it's customers detailed instructions on how to do this very involved repair yet perhaps only 4% of pre-1987 Catalina owners realize they have wood in their keel stub/sump. Most owners ask about fixing the keel" smile" never knowing anything about the underlying cause in most cases.

It's very rare to see post 1988 Catalina's with the "smile" unless they hit something. Catalina did NOT change this layup procedure to save money they did it to correct a problem. As these 70's & 80's boats age I suspect this problem will continually get worse...

After you drill a test hole make sure you fill it with epoxy so no more water gets into the keel stub...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2008

SailingRandy is on a distinguished road
Drill a Test Hole?

halekai36,
Now why didn't I think of that? I wonder how many times i have seen an article or book that has recomended drilling a hole to see what's going on...must be in the dozens, hundreds, who knows. Great idea and I will do it, but I think I will wait until #1 I get the deck work further along, and #2 warmer weather.
Again, thanks for the obvious way to answer my question!
Blessings!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook