Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
fabricating a spinnaker pole..

I have been thinking of fabricating my own spinnaker pole and have not had much luck finding info on the web..

I have been thinking of buying some carbon fiber tubing and then get some spinnaker pole ends and making my own. See.. http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/large%20tubing.html
You can get 5 foot of 2inch ID for $225.

Would this be easy?

I need to find some sketches of existing poles..

My J dimension is like 10 feet. But another guy with the same boat as me has a 9 foot pole.

Then I saw some that were adjustable in length. I think that might be nice, but are they strong enough to be a spinnaker pole?

thanks,
gh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I would recommend checking out this thread for feasibility . Like anything however, it really depends upon the amount of effort and realizing that if it is the frist time you have done fiberglassing - multiple the cost of materials X 3, as it will be inevitable that you will have to try and try again. For some that is no object

However, case in point - when I painted my boat this summer - I never had rolled and tipped and thought since I am fairly good with a brush and paint (ha ha the joke on me) - that I ended up sanding my boat down three times and at the cost of the paint $1K because I had to keep doing it until I finally got the process right. Fiberglassing looks easy until it is very evident that it is about the right environment, right ratios, and right process for laying...

Not to be discouraging - it can be done, the link I sent you covers a few different ways others have done it... It may be cheaper though to just find a used pole though...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can probably buy an aluminum spinnaker pole for less than it would cost you to make one... there are economies of scale in producing thousands of them that you'll have a hard time matching. Also, one you make will likely not work as well as one you can buy, since they've already worked most of the bugs out of their design..

Re-inventing the wheel is usually very difficult to justify financially. You can get a 10' carbon fiber spinnaker pole for $608. Buying 10' of the carbon fiber tubing is going to cost you $450, and then you still need to purchase the hardware for the ends, as well as assemble the thing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
My experience is in line with what Sailingdog said. I wanted top make a pole a few years back. By the time you buy the tubing (and that's not just any tubing) and the ends, you'll have overspent the cost of a new pole. If you just want the pride of having made it, go for it. I patiently shopped ebay for a while and found a deal.
Old 01-10-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Then I saw some that were adjustable in length. I think that might be nice, but are they strong enough to be a spinnaker pole?
gh
The adjustable poles you see are meant to be whisker poles, for poling out jibs or genoas (hence the adjustable part), not meant to be spinnaker poles per se, and I wouldn't expect them to hold up.

You should not have a spinn pole shorter than your J measurement, the sail will not be projected enough to fly properly (unless it's an undersized girth spinnaker too). In some cases boats carry poles slightly longer than the J, but the spinnakers are slightly oversized to match.

If racing, then your code and rating are adjusted for this scenario.

Agree that you can probably buy a pole for less money in the end. Check out a marine used/consignment goods stores if there are any near you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice.

The only remaining question is ...

Should I get an adjustable pole? What are the pros/cons of this?

Because then I can use it to pole out my foresail (anything else?).

thx,
gh

ps. Thanks Faster, you must have posted your response while I was writing the above..

Last edited by groundhog; 01-10-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2008

resdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Thanks for the advice.

The only remaining question is ...

Should I get an adjustable pole? What are the pros/cons of this?

Because then I can use it to pole out my foresail (anything else?).

thx,
gh

ps. Thanks Faster, you must have posted your response while I was writing the above..

As stated previously, a spinnaker pole and a whisker pole are two different things. A spin pole is usually too heavy and short to use as a whisker pole and a whisker pole isn't stout enough to use as a spin pole.
Old 01-10-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Should I get an adjustable pole? What are the pros/cons of this?"
Weaker or heavier. More expensive. Jams and sometimes gets bent & stuck at the joint. It's all just a question of sizing and strength, you want as little weight up there as possible, but once you get it too light--it breaks.
Old 01-10-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
You can buy Ronstan, Harken, or Forespar ends and som tubing and make your own 2" aluminum pole for around $275. Or you can buy a ready-made Forespar for about $350, plus shipping. Which is problematic: freight rates are high right now, even though the thing is light and takes up little space; and UPS or FedEx don't like to carry anything over 8 feet long. Might check DHL or smaller courier services.

You can also build one of wood, tho it will be heavy and you need perfectly straight-grained stock. Personally, I wouldn't -- nightmares of a splintered pole end plunging into the cockpit, An aluminum pole will kink but likely stay in on piece.
Old 01-10-2008
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Check this out.

http://www.lmorocz.com/BoatBuilding/mast01.htm

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.