Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2008

kavakava is on a distinguished road
Digital TV

With digital tv signals coming soon, those of us with standard antennas on top of our masts will have to find a way to convert. Any tech wizard with an idea how to go about this process is welcome to share. I was wondering about getting a coupon for a converter box and using that, but they're 120v and I'd have to wire it into the inverter. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Non of the major players in the RV/Marine carry 12 VDC units (as far as I know), for over air HDTV converters. Naturally the Satellite system packages do... none the less... If you do end up running a inverter, it has been reported at least on some of the RV forums, don't fall for those advertised "HDTV" antennas. Regular antennas work if they are designed to pick up VHF/UHF (most HD channels are in the UHF band although a few might be found in the higher frequencies of VHF) - and most reported that using the old rabbitt ears with UHF ring, worked better than typical RV antennas....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kavakava-

You'd probably be better off getting a small LCD-HD TV unit. They're not that expensive any more...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Most of the HD units do not have tuners / converters in them for HD - they just accept HD input from such units....the key to watch out for is those labeled "HD Ready" as you will need to purchase a tuner...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 01-10-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2008
I can't reMember

Slipkiller2 is on a distinguished road
About 6 months ago, I bought a 15 in LCD HD TV for <$300. It had a tuner along with inputs for dvd/vcr and computer.
Old 01-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Any TV produced for and sold in this country since last march HAS the capability to receive and display over the air HDTV signals when connected to an antenna. Older inventory was sold through 2007 as well but any current model set will have HD reception capability built in. The industry will issue $40 coupons for converter boxes so consumers don't have to throw away their old sets.
Note...this does NOT mean that all TV's will give you a HIGH DEFINITION picture...only that they will tune, receive and display stations that broadcast in the new HD frequency range.
Old 01-10-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
If you're looking for an antenna, I have been using my masthead VHF antenna sucessfully.

Do a search on this forum as I have posted on this before...

If you have problems finding info, I'll dig it up.
Old 01-10-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Do you also have the VHF hooked up to it. i had heard that can cause some damage
Old 01-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As Cam pointed out, all TVs manufactured since March 2007 have been required to have ATSC over-the-air HD TV tuners in them. Most will have NTSC standard def. analog TV tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Most of the HD units do not have tuners / converters in them for HD - they just accept HD input from such units....the key to watch out for is those labeled "HD Ready" as you will need to purchase a tuner...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's the link thanks and welcome Caleb:
https://www.dtv2009.gov