[Electrics] Switching from glass inline fuses to buss bar-style - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
[Electrics] Switching from glass inline fuses to buss bar-style

In dissembling my pilothouse roof prepartory to its removal to get the engine out, I have been gratified to see that the PO secured the wire looms nicely, went big on the gauges and generally did a very tidy job of it. The DC panel is clean, as well, but sports glass inline fuses.

What are the pros and cons of switching to Buss-style terminal fuses versus sticking with the glass ones? I am trying to avoid the issue of sea air silently corroding my wiring in hard to reach places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There really isn't much of a problem with the glass-in-line fuses, provided he used marine-grade fuses and fuse holders. If it is working, why change it out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-11-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I worded the initial post incorrectly, I think. What I meant to ask if there is any advantage to switching from a glass fuse to a "metal strip" fuse for low-draw, switchable (on a circuit breaker) circuits, such as for nav electronics, lights, etc. I am fairly clear on where and when to put in the honking big fuses and terminal blocks, but am less sure about keeping little glass fuses installed.
Old 01-11-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I prefer the ATO/ATC style fuses versus the glass ones..easier to store and the amps are color coded...as for corrosion...if you have a bus designed for marine use - should be ok, no matter which style you have. When I re-wired I went for this :

Which works nicely - and less than 50 bucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I worded the initial post incorrectly, I think. What I meant to ask if there is any advantage to switching from a glass fuse to a "metal strip" fuse for low-draw, switchable (on a circuit breaker) circuits, such as for nav electronics, lights, etc. I am fairly clear on where and when to put in the honking big fuses and terminal blocks, but am less sure about keeping little glass fuses installed.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
valiente-

On my boat, I have installed a switch panel that controls the individual light circuits that has fuses for each individual light. This is fed by a single line coming off of my DC circuit breaker panel.

The reason I did this, is partially due to the limited space on the circuit breaker panel I have on my boat, and partially to make the lighting switch setup simpler.

The switch panel I am using uses mini blade (ATM) fuses, and like the glass tube fuses, these allow you to visually see if the fuse is blown very easily. I think that is a significant advantage.

This allows me to tailor the different circuits for the different light fixtures. For instance, the LED masthead anchor/tricolor doesn't require anything close to 15 amps... so each of those switches has a 1 amp fuse. The mast-mounted foredeck light uses considerably more power, and has a five amp fuse, and so on.

I hope this helps.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sd, art-
Where did you get those fuse blocks? Brand name?

Valiente-
The only problem with the glass ("old" US automotive type) fuses is that they can fail without any visible sign. The wire is soldered inside each of the end caps, it can corrode and break free and still look perfectly good. That, and sometimes the glass breaks and cuts you when removing them.
They are also getting harder to find, as cars no longer use them.

I also like the ATC/ATO type, because they are cheap and easy to find, and there are no solder points to fail or glass to break. What many folks don't realize is that if you look at the top of the fuse, on either side of the number there is a tiny hole in the plastic. That's no accident, it is there so you can run a test light or meter down both sides of the fuses to check for supply power, and good/blown fuse. (Oh duh!) It is an intentional access hole.
And if you really want to go deluxe...there are ATO/ATC "Fuses for dummies" out there. Honest, they have a little red LED installed that lights up when the fuse has blown!

I still prefer breakers to fuses (with the addition of a fast-blow fuse on each instrument) but I know, those breaker prices add up quickly.
Old 01-11-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
West-Marine is where I purchased mine - but any place that carries the Blue Sea Systems brand should have them.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-11-2008
Telstar 28

HS-

The block artbyjody posted a photo of is one I use on my boat for the solar panels, among other things, and is available anywhere that sells the Blue Sea panels and blocks, including Defender, Sailnet, and WM. The switch panel I posted a photo of has each switch fused individually, and is basically a step up from the fuse block in some ways... and is also by Blue Sea. The panel is splash proof, so it could be installed in the cockpit as well.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-11-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Thanks. Somehow I managed not to look at the BS or WM catalogs for electricals this year, they introduced that one since I last really looked at what they had.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.