Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2008

nmerson@earthlink.net is on a distinguished road
Unhappy rubber tubing lost in engine crankcase

I was attempting to change the oil in my Yanmar 3GM diesel engine with a vacuum evacuator apparatus. The plastic tubing had a piece of flexible rubber tubing, about 4 inches long, on one end. I mistakenly put this end of the tubing into the crankcase via the dipstick opening and, when I pulled it out, the piece of tubing was missing! I have used wire with a little hook on the end to try to retrieve the tubing with no success, and I cannot detect any obstruction in the opening, so I must have pushed the tubing further into the crankcase. I am afraid to start the engine with this bit of tubing still somewhere in the crankcase and I don't know what to do to get it out. Yes, I am a female and should have known better, but, I had changed the oil before many times with no problem. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
I can only think of a couple things.

Drain oil through the drain plug and hope it floats that way and you are able to fish it from there. I bet that is impossible to reach though.

Run it and forget about it. From the sump the oil goes to the filter and then the motor, so if it gets chewed up so what. If it just floats around, so what.

Short of endoscopic equipment to locate it, grab it and get it out I cannot think of anything.
Old 01-12-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I would not run the engine. I beleive the tubing will eventualy block the opening in the lubricating oil suction pipe and thus cut off the lubrication oil to the engine.

If you have dropped the plastic tube into the sump it is at the oil pan level in the engine. In my Yanmar GM30 there is a lubricating oil suction pipe which the oil is drawn through by means of the lubricating oil pump BEFORE the oil filter. After the filter it is sent up to lubricate the cam shaft.

How to get the tubing out I am not sure short of taking the sump pan off of the engine. I am sure someone with more experience will weigh in with a suggestion.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-12-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
In my Yanmar GM30 there is a lubricating oil suction pipe which the oil is drawn through by means of the lubricating oil pump BEFORE the oil filter. After the filter it is sent up to lubricate the cam shaft.

yes, there is a pipe. At the end of that pipe, where it goes into the engine oil sump, there is a strainer, that prevents big bits from making its way thru the system

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Someone here did the same thing about a year ago and it was a GUY...so don't feel too bad! (g)
Anyway...as I recall...the guy was able to fish it out through the crankcase drain plug with a wire with a hook on it. Worth a try if you have access to the drain plug. I would not leave it in there long term.
Old 01-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to sailnet.

Ouch... I think you're going to have to drop the pan. BTW, you probably will want to contact the mods and change your handle, since posting your e-mail address like that is just asking to get spammed. Generally, I would highly recommend against using an e-mail address as a handle on any internet forum.

You might also want to read this post, which will help you get the most out of your time here on sailnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerson@earthlink.net View Post
I was attempting to change the oil in my Yanmar 3GM diesel engine with a vacuum evacuator apparatus. The plastic tubing had a piece of flexible rubber tubing, about 4 inches long, on one end. I mistakenly put this end of the tubing into the crankcase via the dipstick opening and, when I pulled it out, the piece of tubing was missing! I have used wire with a little hook on the end to try to retrieve the tubing with no success, and I cannot detect any obstruction in the opening, so I must have pushed the tubing further into the crankcase. I am afraid to start the engine with this bit of tubing still somewhere in the crankcase and I don't know what to do to get it out. Yes, I am a female and should have known better, but, I had changed the oil before many times with no problem. Can anyone help me?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2008

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
How flexible is the tubing? Is it that hard black thin-walled plastic polyeurathane stuff, the clear tygon type tubing, or is it soft, like surgical tubing? would it go to the drain if you drained the crankcase?