Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Group 31 Battery Capacity

I need to upgrade my house bank. I'd like to have between 225 and 300 Ah. (that's 3X and 4X my daily consumption, respectively). My budget is tight so I had been thinking of going with 6V golf cart batteries, but my existing battery boxes (each: 8"W x 14"L x 10"H) won't except 4 of them. But they will take a couple of group 31's.

I found this wet-cell and was wondering what people thought. This seems like a high amount of amp hours for a G31 battery to me. Is the weight (62.4 lbs) too light? Am I crazy to order batteries off the net? Are these likely to have less cycles to them?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2008

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Shipping costs for 70 lbs?

And don't you have a local store near your house?

I'd try a Mr. Google, he's been known to be very helpful at times like these............
Old 01-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That sounds awfully high for a Group 31 battery. Most of the Group 31 batteries I'm familiar with have a rating closer to 100-120 Amp-hours at the 20 hour rate. These say they're rated at 140 Amp-hours... which is 16-40% more capacity than other Group 31 batteries. I'm also not too familiar with that particular brand, but defender.com generally sells decent products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Take a look at Interstate Batteries. A lot of bang for the buck.
Old 01-13-2008

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Take a look at Interstate Batteries. A lot of bang for the buck.

Anyone know if it's still true (as of the late 90's at least) that there are actually only 3 lead acid battery mnfgs. in the States? I was told this more than thrice............
Old 01-13-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Personally, the one aspect of West Marine I do like - is their batteries and replacement policy. I have had three batteries fully replaced with no questions asked (when I first bought my Cat the 2 batteries died (well less than optimum charge retention) they just replaced them as they were within the warranty period) and if you compare the cost of shipping + cost of a battery via the net - you really can't beat the knowing you can lug them to a store and 30 minutes later have new batteries and be ready to go....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-13-2008

Quote:
These say they're rated at 140 Amp-hours...
Yea, this is the part that intrigues/scares me the most. $115 for 140 amp hours is pretty darn cheap!! (shipping aside.) Seems to good to be true and we know what we like to say about that...

I do agree with Jody as well; brick and mortar can have it's advantages.
Old 01-13-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I bet those batteries have been sitting for a while so the price is more reflective of the 'not ready for clearance or recycling program'. Considering the average Group 31s run around $179 brick and mortar...

Defender however is a top notch place from people I know that order stuff from them - but - I would ask about return policy on the batteries as well as checking the date of manufacture for the batteries. That does seem a bit too good to be true unless it is just a auto battery with a marine label on it....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-13-2008

Quote:
I bet those batteries have been sitting for a while so the price is more reflective of the 'not ready for clearance or recycling program'. Considering the average Group 31s run around $179 brick and mortar...

Defender however is a top notch place from people I know that order stuff from them - but - I would ask about return policy on the batteries as well as checking the date of manufacture for the batteries. That does seem a bit too good to be true unless it is just a auto battery with a marine label on it....
This may be a naive question, but how long can a battery sit on a shelf? I know it'll lose a few percentage points of charge each day if left idle, but when unused, do the plates just deteriorate over time?
Old 01-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The warranty on those batteries looks a bit weak compared to the normal warranties other batteries have.

As for wet-cell batteries... if they're just sitting on the shelf, the plates will start to sulfate as the charge level slowly drops. Wet-cell batteries don't tolerate sitting for long periods of time very well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.