kennyarmes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennyarmes
repowering engines

have a volvo 27 hp i think wish to up to 50 hp any advise on which ones
yanmar, perkins, or what?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ken-

Why are you looking to replace the 27 hp volvo? Also, it would help if you said what kind of boat it was. I seriously doubt that your boat will really need a 50 HP diesel, if it was originally equipped with a 27 HP engine.

Changing from a 27 hp to a 50 hp, you'll need a new transmission, new engine mounts, new prop shaft, new propellor, and a new cutlass bearing. You may also need a new water lift muffler, to accommodate the larger engine's higher exhaust output.

I would highly recommend you read this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2008

tonic is on a distinguished road
That's a loaded question. Do you need it? I'm partial to Yanmar just because I've had a 1GM10 and currently have a 3GM30. They have been good to me and well maintained. I'm sure there are other's who haven't had the same experience, but that goes with any manufacture. Personally don't think it really matters as long as you keep up the maintainence. Customer service too is important can't help you there haven't needed it yet.

Last edited by tonic; 01-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
27 HP to 50 HP seems like a bit of a jump. Besides engine weight - make sure doing so doesn't exceed the boats design. This resource is one that boat builders use to calculate the actual HP one can install on a boat. But without knowing what your boat is etc... you are probably best keeping with what was originally spec'd for your boat...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-13-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Wow..

50hp in a 33 foot Morgan is certainly a ton of power. I have a 44hp Westerbeke in a 17,000lb 36 footer and it's quite over powered and most of the power is totally unusable.

That being said all engines are good as long as they are Japanese blocks. Beta, Yanmar, Westerbeke, Universal & Nani to name a few. Seeing as you are a Volvo owner I know I don't need to say any more about them or why you don't want one anymore...

A complete engine swap to a 50hp will most likely run close to the value of the boat, perhaps more depending on condition, because it will most likely require engine bed modification, new shaft, prop on and on and on. I know some of the later OI 33's came with a 50hp Perkins but a 35-40hp should push your 15,000lb boat along just fine.

The most expensive asking price for a Morgan 33 on YachtWorld is currently 29,900.00 & the least is $8500.00 so be careful putting too much engine into your boat because you'll never recover any of it if you are somehow forced to sell or get "two-foot-itus"...

My guess is that the Volvo has some prop/fuel/tranny issues if it doesn't have adequate power..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-13-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2008

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
The rule of thumb is 2 hp per 1000 lbs, or 28 hp on a 14000 lb boat. That will get you to hull speed in adverse conditions. More than that will just waste fuel.

Are getting poor performance now? Is the prop fouled? Is the prop pitched right for the boat? Is the engine running well? Might be worth checking the cheaper and easier things before paying for an engine swap.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 01-14-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
As a Bukh owner, I take exception to the..."as long as they are Japanese blocks" comment. While seemingly the most numerous, they're not the only ones.
Old 01-15-2008
my dream

kennyarmes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kennyarmes
i live in portland or and as you all know the waves get bigger and storms are more than the east coast. plus i plan on a round the world cruise one day. i was have seen them on other 33 morgan outislands and i know one that gets alot better fuel mileage than mine. and i assume that it is because the engine is not working to the max or bumping the govenor all the time.
Old 01-15-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
If it's bumping the governor it probably needs more prop.
Old 01-15-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
You will regret 50 hp in a 33 ft boat.

It is simply too big.