Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2008

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
Question Carpentry Advice needed for my Sole

This winter, while the boat is all covered and it's too cold to do any work on the boat, I've decided to tear into my nasty looking floor boards. The pictures below tell the tale of abuse and neglect. I've kept them covered with rugs since I owned the boat but enough is enough.

Link to current look

The big question I have for everyone is this, How do I bring the Holly Strips back to yellow? They appear to be stained though, some look rotten. Where would I go to get holly strips or do I have to make them from larger stock? (that would suck)

Link to brown Holly

The Teak layer is coming back awesome, looks great after being stripped. So much so that it makes the dingy Holly strips all the worse.

Link to stripped Teak.

What would you all do?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Ryan, put away the scraper and go with a chemical stripper and plastic scraper. Then use (your choice) TSP, bleach, Oxaclic acid to clean the wood, all of it. I can't tell if that is mold or oil stains, likely both tho, so a combo of all three cleaners might be best.
Search elsewhere on the forum, lots of advice.
Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Would help if you linked the photos in your post like this:
Current Look

Brown Holly

Stripped Teak

Of the chemicals Chuckles has recommended, the Oxalic acid is probably the strongest and will work the best at brightening the wood. I'd use the TSP first to get rid of any oil or dirt though and rinse well between using different chemicals, as you don't want to mix them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-14-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Kismet....chuckles has it right BUT you need to understand that NOTHING will restore those floorboards as the veneer is only microns thick and the damage is not just surface damage but through the wood. You can get a bit of improvement in the look following Chuckles advice but if I were you, I'd buy a sheet of teak and holly and use the existing boards as templates before throwing them out. Nothing to lose by trying the cleaner and seeing if it turns out good enough...just don't expect it to come back fully.
Old 01-14-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Kismet,
I do a lot of woodworking and Cam is right, those stains go deep into the wood and cannot be removed. the best you can hope for is to brighten them up a little but if you keep sanding or scraping you'll not remove them.
Old 01-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
IF replacing, I'd suggest looking into the synthetic ones like I have, the don't look quite as good, need sealing on the back, but then never rot:
Attached Thumbnails
Carpentry Advice needed for my Sole-dsc00512.jpg   Carpentry Advice needed for my Sole-dsc00513.jpg   Carpentry Advice needed for my Sole-dsc00514.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
What would you all do?
A hot air gun is what most professionals would use to remove the layers of varnish from brightwork and T&H. I have always used one on marine teak, with excellent results.

After a few minutes, you'll get into a groove of how long to point the gun in one spot - just before the varnish begins to blister, and follow along with a sharp scraper to remove the finish in ribbons. Keep the heat moving slowly and the job goes quickly - without the use of caustic chemicals. Here's the type I use, with carbon steel blades:

Make a paste from oxalic acid powder and water and lightly rub the darkened areas, or other cleaners as chuckles suggested. But, as cam stated, some of those areas look pretty nasty and will not be restorable to new condition. Be very careful of the veneers, which in some plywoods, are wafer thin - so, avoid aggressive sanding.
Old 01-14-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
IF replacing, I'd suggest looking into the synthetic ones like I have, the don't look quite as good, need sealing on the back, but then never rot:
Where did you get the synthetic? Looks good to me. I have re-done 3 soles in the past, the next I might use this type of material.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 01-14-2008

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Isn't teak 'n holly ply still about $140.00 a sheet still? And bungs a nickle a pop?

Just wondering..............
Old 01-14-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
That's Synthetic?!? It looks teriffic. What's it called, and where can I get it?