Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Antenna Cable

What is this?
My so-239 connector on the back of my HF rig was badly corroded (brass mounted on aluminum, what were they thinking??) so I decided to replace it. I cut off the old one, and stripped the cable. The copper in the cable was also badly corroded. Is this mini-coax? What kind of end connector is this and where can I get one? Hard to beleive this stuff can carry 200Watt PEP!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
No idea what it is/was. And, it's immaterial.

Replace it. With RG-8X. Connector is whatever fits your HF rig...most probably a PL-259 (almost all of them are these days).

Bill
Old 01-14-2008

This is from inside the radio. The end is actually a connector that fits into a socket. Not possible to use anything as a substitute.
Only thing I can read is "SUMUTOMO 1.50-XVS"
Old 01-14-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
What radio do you have?

Can you get a better picture...I can't make out the end-fitting.
Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That looks like the old car radio type antenna connector. Not a great idea for a boat. Also, if the copper was corroded, the wire wasn't marine grade wire.

You need to get marine-grade RG 8X cable for the run to the antenna. The Shakespeare no-solder connectors work quite well, but I don't know if they make one to fit a radio with an old FM-radio style antenna connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2008

Sorry the picture doesn't do well to show the connector. I tried manual focus, but it is really, really small. The connector is crimp on and inserts into a socket on the final PCB inside the back of the transceiver.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my fist post.

This IS NOT A LEAD WIRE, but is internal inside the radio
This is for a HAM HF (Kenwood TS-130SE) transceiver, putting out 200 Watts

There isn't really such thing as "MARINE" Ham radios, however this particular radio has served me about 3500 miles aboard my boat, reporting to Pacific Seafarers net. Non-tinned copper is quite common on all electronics marine or not. Even the best RG8X wire will corrode quite readily if the terminations are not made completely watertight.. been there tested that, shrink wrap everything. I use RG-8U for my coax fed antenna, and have had good DX up to 5000 miles.

I did find out that the wire is RG-274 micro coax, and was able to obtain replacement wire. The local electronics store said they have no idea where to get that connector. That is the only store within 275 miles (by water/air).
Unfortunately.. I am beginning to think that this simple repair is going to involve long hold times at Kenwood trying to get parts for a radio made before most of their tech support staff was out of diapers..
Old 01-14-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
These so-called bayonette connectors were widely used and can most likely be found by looking at any one of a number of ham radio parts sites such as eham, etc.
If you have no luck, send me a PM offline with your address and I'll send one to you
Don
Old 01-14-2008

MidLandOne is on a distinguished road
It is almost certainly a male TMP connector, it certainly looks like one. They are widely used in rf equipment including amateur transceivers.

If that is what it is, and I am betting it is, then a replacement should be pretty easy to find. Crimping it perhaps not so easy as I think they use a special crimping tool - but might be able to fudge by soldering it, I don't know have never had one fail.

Last edited by MidLandOne; 01-14-2008 at 10:09 PM.