Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblehome32 View Post
Just so long as we're not forced to abandon incandesents...by law!
Not until 2012 in the US...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/22/bu...in&oref=slogin
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
We won't be totally forced to abandon incandescents...just forced to halogen bulbs and others that are more efficient. Stash away your cheap 60W bulbs now. I went flor. ages ago, but for some lights (like the entrance and the bathroom) tungsten is still the way to go--because flor. lights burn out very quickly when they are only used for a few minutes every time, rather than allowed to burn. (And they suck up something like 1/2 hour's worth of power just to turn on.)

But the USCG does not certify light bulbs for marine use. They certify lamps, as in lamp fixtures as a whole, with a particular bulb in them. There are a very few LED bulbs on the market that have been approved for use as part of a retrofitted lamp fixture--but approved for those fixtures only, not for general use.

Perithead, you're right in thinking they are damned expensive. LEDs that are "prime" quality ARE EXPENSIVE. Require them to be bright, have a wide beam angle (or use many narrow angle LEDs), install protection on the power line so they don't spike out...and yes, they are damned expensive. Sometimes over $5 each for LEDs that have only a 20-degree beam spread, requiring 18 of them to make one "all around" display. That's nearly $100 before any other expenses, or the usual mark-ups.
Old 01-16-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I replaced all my light fixtures on board with LED based ones. I bought regular fixtures and used LED "bulbs" or little panels/strips. The lighting is pretty good - certainly bright enough, though the light is fairly "cold". The best result was achieved (by accident) when I placed LED "bulb" into golden fixture - color warmed up considerably. Total draw when all lights are on is about 1 amp. And what's more - I don't have to worry whether the lights might burn the bulkhead behind them, and I don't need to replace all too often.

So far - so good.
Old 01-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Be careful about those LEDS sold by major retailers for port and starboard nav lights. The colors of the LED are due to plastic film that wear incredibly fast. I had purchased a red and green led cluster from West Marine - and a year later - It was evident that the red and green leds were nothing more than a white LED with a plastic film of whatever color and they deteriorated (I can supply pics if desired)...to show they were merely just white covered LEDs...

Also in case you may not know but those energy saver bulbs you can get - the curly looking ones - they are not green - they have mercury in them and therefore can not just be disposed of...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-16-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jody, it sounds like you met another Aventure From China, sponsored by West Marine. There's no good reason to do nav lights that way, red and green LEDs are cheaper than the white ones to start off with.

The fluorescent bulbs ALL have mercury in them, in small amounts. Arguably less than the coal used to fire the power plants to provide 5x more power for tungsten bulbs?
Old 01-17-2008

witzgall is on a distinguished road
I bought a Orca Tricolor anchor light to install on our mast as it is down, and has never had an anchor light installed. (can you imagine, the boat was cruised to the islands back in the 90s, without proper lighting.)

Anyways, Fourwinds Ent. had the best price on it, $239.00 without the photodiode or strobe. Expensive still, but it will draw .5 amps used as either a tricolor or anchor. Very well made, and hopefully will never need messed with after I get it installed. Ran the messengers for the wires last weekend.
Chris
Old 01-17-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
There are a lot of comments on the "cold" light from the white LED fixtures. I have several hat clips that use the white LEDs and concur.

I have read somewhere, forget where (the memory is the second thing to go...), that adding a few yellow LEDs to a white LED fixture *dramatically* improves the quality of the light. brak's assertion that the "golden fixture" gave the best result in his/her test seems to make sense in this... er, light. (ba-dum-bum!)

Ed

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-17-2008

Tumblehome32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
What happened to my country? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-17-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
If you are a light bulb manufacturer, having a mandated change is a golden opportunity to cash in.
Old 01-17-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblehome32 View Post
What happened to my country? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Tumblehome, I'm with you - government should keep its filthy hands off of my stuff. Let the invisible hand guide the way. However, I believe there are some instances when market forces will not always produce the desired - or sometimes needed - effect. At least not in a timely manner.

E.g., if it weren't for anti-trust laws, Microsoft would have patented 0's and 1's by now.

I'll stop now, this isn't exactly Gear & Maintenance type of blabber...