Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2008

gramcko is on a distinguished road
Yanmar PTO v-pulley

I need to remove the PTO v-pulley from a YSE 12 engine. It's either being very stubborn or it needs a special tool. Does anyone know if a special tool is needed? Secondly, does anyone know of a part source for the v-pulley? The Yanmar distributors I've contacted don't have one.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

To remove things that don't want to be removed, I have had good luck with heat, cold, and liquid wrench type things. If it were my motor, I would:
- spray liquid wrench liberally around the shaft
- wait 10-15 minutes
- apply heat from a propane torch to the pulley (1 minute or so) (try not to get the shaft too hot, you don't want to put a lot of heat into the engine where you could damage seals)
- wait 10-15 minutes for it to cool
- try and remove the pulley with gentle taps from a hammer on a block of wood, pry bar, etc.

Can't help you with a replacement.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2008

gramcko is on a distinguished road
Thanks Barry. Heat will be my next attempt. Though I'm a bit worried the silly thing has a hidden trick; because I tried liquid wrench and a pulley puller and only succeeded in popping the bolt heads securing the pulley puller to the pulley. Most satisfying pop, but didn't seem to budge the pulley an iota.

There is nothing as obvious as a nut or bolt, just an 1/8 inch hole in the center of the shaft. Have you hear of such a locking mechanism?

Out of curiosity, if there was a nut or bolt would it be threaded counter to rotation?

Bob
Old 01-16-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi Bob,

If there was a nut, it may very well be counter threaded.

The pulleys I have dealt with have either been splined (good) or pressure fit (not so good). If your pulley is splined there will be something to keep it on the shaft. If it is pressure fit there may not be.

Have you looked carefully for a set screw, key, or something else? If you don't have some fastener like that, then it's just pressure fit and heat is your best choice.

My boat came with a belt driver refrigerator. The belt is driven from a pulley mounted on the end of the crank (after the alternator belt). The pulley uses a pressure fit insert. On mine, the insert was worn out. The insert would not come out of the pulley until I applied heat. Then it popped right out.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.