Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2008
Caliber 40

Lucky Jack is on a distinguished road
Max Anchor Stowage

Fellow Sailors,

I am in the process of fitting out a new Caliber 40 and have selected both ROCNA and Max anchors. The Max anchor appears to have a few issues fitting well into the bow roller assembly. It seems that when it's retracted to the first bend in the shank, a good bit of anchor remains extended and relatively unsecured. When the anchor is cranked in all the way, it rises up and tends to inhibit the furling mechanism. Does anyone have some experience stowing the Max in a roller, or could anyone offer some advice feedback for remediation? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Perhaps you need a different bow roller:
http://www.creativemarine.com/newpro.../bowroller.htm

Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good point Cam... most bow rollers are best suited for only certain types of anchors. One that works well for a Bruce may not be well suited for a Rocna.

BTW, that installation in the second photo is one I wouldn't recommend, since the roller is only supported by the wood and the forces on a bow roller are likely to break something of that design, especially since they've weakened the wood by drilling through it a few inches aft of the base of the roller.

Montyedge—

Which anchor is your bower? That is the one you should leave sitting on the bow roller. The other should be stowed elsewhere IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SD - You have a Rocna, right? I'm assuming by your post that you're stating that a roller for a Bruce or Delta IS different for the Rocna? I was thinking of getting a Rocna as my primary, but I have no interest in replacing my bow roller.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

It depends on the design of the anchor roller. The roller I am using is this one:

While it wasn't designed for a Rocna, it works quite well. It really depends on the specific roller you have. Most of the ones that work for a Delta or such will work with a Rocna.

The problem with the Max anchor is the strange stock design on the anchor, which isn't the case with a Rocna.

I haven't seen the bow roller on your boat, but yours should probably be fine with the Rocna, which seems to fit on traditional bow rollers that fit a Delta or CQR quite well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Here's my roller with a Bruce in it... it now has a Delta, which lines up perfectly to pin to the roller when stored. Not knowing the shank shape of the Rocna, any thoughts?

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Monty

I'm perhaps, other than you, one of the few sailors who actually owns both a Super Max and a Rocna.

From a guy who has used, and owns, both I can honestly just say; stick the Super Max in the bilge cause you won't need it! The Rocna is a superior product in both setting, re-setting and holding in my experience. Once the max is set it works fine but getting it to set and re-set is certainly not a strong point of the Max anchor when compared to the Rocna. After diving on it numerous times I'd find it usually only half dug in and laying on it's side just like the CQR likes to do.

You have a great anchor, the Rocna, stick it on the bow and watch the Max grow dust in the bilge that way you won't need to worry about a new anchor roller. The Rocna fits fine in my CQR roller!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

The shank on the Rocna is fairly deep, much more so than the Bruce you've got on in this photo. The reason I think is due to the incredible holding power of the Rocna. You'll definitely have to remove the forward pin. It might squeak under that top pin, but it depends a bit on whether you're planning on getting the 20 kg or 25 kg Rocna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Here's my roller with a Bruce in it... it now has a Delta, which lines up perfectly to pin to the roller when stored. Not knowing the shank shape of the Rocna, any thoughts?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Ask....

Ask & ye shall receive! Luckily I have my Rocna and Supermax at home.. Here's some measurements from my Rocna 15kg/33lb. shank.

Roller end of shank:

First bend:

Shank length:

Rocna & Super Max profiles:

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-15-2008
Caliber 40

Lucky Jack is on a distinguished road
Wow. You gents really came through with some great stuff.

My plan involves the ROCNA as my primary and the Max as the secondary anchor. The caliber is fitted with a reinforced bow pulpit and two roller assemblies. One is fed from the windlass gypsy and t'other feeds into the locker with use of a capstan. We have only taken delivery of the Max so far, so the fit of the ROCNA is as of yet unknown, however I don't expect it to be much of a problem.

Also, I have acquired the fixed version of the Max. If it doesn't work out so well, I may not be able to change anchors as they were both special ordered.

Thanks much for the advice.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.