Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Roller Furlers..

I did a search of the forum and can't find info on this..

Can you list the best roller furler systems and the worst ones?

I am thinking of buying one and I need to know what to aim for and what to stay away from.

Also maybe, desired features...

Thanks!
groundhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are you talking for mainsails or for headsails? It would also help if you said what kind of boat it is, since some furlers aren't made small enough or large enough for certain boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
The Harken MKIV Unit 0 has worked great for us. It's a little pricey compared to some but i've never had a single problem with it.

See: http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...=Harken%20MKIV

Old 01-15-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Sorry..
Headsail. 27' Albin Vega.
gh
Old 01-15-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Sorry..
Headsail. 27' Albin Vega.
gh
Our Harken is on the headsail of our Pearson 27... so if you went this route you would want the Unit 0 as well. Never had a jam... smooth. Now i've probably jinxed us!

Old 01-15-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
In my experience quality of the furler has far less to do with its success than quality and arrangement of the installation.
For a 27' cruiser you might check out the CDI or Alado types that have integral halyard. These usually cost less, and avoid the struggle with the halyard swivel.

Another way to look at things: warranty

Harken: seven (7) years from date of purchase. This warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship.

Schaefer:
free from factory defects in material and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of purchase

CDI: six years from date of purchase. covers unseamanlike use, winching against obstructions, and rough and abusive yard handling.

Alado Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

Profurl: covered by a 5 year worldwide warranty.

Of course terms and conditions muddy the waters a lot. I think having a warranty like CDI (they will replace it if you run it over with a car, or winch it to pieces) is a huge plus, vs those that only cover material defects.
Disclaimer: some of this info was from second hand sites so check it out for yourself.

Last edited by sailboy21; 01-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I had a Harken (Mk III) on previous boat. Worked fairly well, but for a few jams when line would override inside drum. On my current boat I went with Profurl after much research and cost analysis. Very high quality has performed well in all conditions, and was easy to install.

I would agree that installation issues like the feed angle of the line have a lot to do with how well a unit works.
Old 01-15-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
I would agree that installation issues like the feed angle of the line have a lot to do with how well a unit works.

Same here. The 90 degree angle is crucial.

Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a Furlex 200 unit on a telstar 28... and it's a solid unit. You'd probably want to go down a size, but I'm not 100% sure of that, as it depends on the sail measurements IIRC.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Let's see

Wow I've owned a lot of boats and had a lot of furlers;

Here's the list and my take on the ones I've owned.

Hood - Served me well, always worked, but had minor corrosion issues. (this was not the single line model)
Furlex 200S- Served me well, and always worked, but had some small plastic pieces that broke like the lower bearing cover for the swivel.
Schaefer 2100- Served me well, always worked, zero problems.
CDI - Numerous problems upgraded to the Furlex listed above.
Hyde- Worked, but of questionable quality, esoteric, and now defunct.
Pro-Furl #32- Served me well, always worked, zero problems but company tough to deal with (parts).
Harken MK-IV - Installed last spring and working flawlessly but the line that comes with it sucks!

So in short I'd recommend a Harken, Furlex or Schaefer. I personally feel the Schaefer is the most robustly built but it's also the most expensive unit of the three. That being said the Harken MK-IV, I feel, currently offers the most bang for the buck and I like the "over turnbuckle" design. A Unit 0 would work well for your boat..

If you're doing it yourself the Harken was the easiest to assemble. Not that any of them are hard though..

The drum will slide right up the extrusion for access to a head stay turnbuckle..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-15-2008 at 05:31 PM.