Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-16-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Stereo Memory Wire Draw - Some Data !

Hi All,

I've seen this question come up numerous times over the years and it's going on at another forum right now.

I wanted to post some actual data so people are not so paranoid about conceting the memory wire from their 12V car type stereo to a "constant" source for fear of draining the batteries.

The first picture shows the actual memory draw with fairly standard "high power" deck made by Kenwood.

The deck draws .007 amps per hour while off! So there is no need to lose all your presets such as bass or treble settings, clock or AUX input setting by not wiring in the constant memory wire for fear of draining your batteries.

Radio turned off memory wire - amp draw:

Turned on & set to "Tuner" volume set to "Zero" - amp draw:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Thanks -- good info since I have the same issue on my boat. I had already gathered the draw wasn't much but it's good to have something to back it up. I keep a watch on the charge on my 2 AGM Grp. 31's each winter and have never had a noticeable drop. This is the third winter for them.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Huh. Live and learn. I thought that stereo presets were stored on a CMOS-style chip (it wouldn't have to be much of a chip) powered by a button battery, as in motherboard in PCs.

So if you take a "car stereo" style unit off its 12 VDC power supply, all presets are lost?

I have a full-sized home amp and tuner aboard, and the tuner seems to stay "memorable" unplugged for some time.
Old 01-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente-

Most of the new stereos have clocks and other features that require power, not just the station memory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Just reminded me of a small project for next season... wiring up a secondary 12v source for the radio memory 1) So I don't have to run a wire to the batteries that's always hot, ans 2) Just in case. Thanks for the info though!!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Valiente-

Most of the new stereos have clocks and other features that require power, not just the station memory.
Fair enough, but when they are removed from the power (assuming they are connected via the DC panel and not directly to the batteries with an inline fuse on the pos side), do they lose the time and the presets like a clock radio with a dead 9 volt in it?

A car is a different story in that there isn't usually a switch between the "always on" components (like power locks) and the "ignition switched" ones, like the starter. In a boat, you can (and should, IMO) completely shut down the DC side when off the boat. I customarily only leave the charger on a single AC side circuit, and it feeds DC to my batteries 12 hours a day because I didn't want to haul them off the boat.

But that's it.
Old 01-16-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I turn everything on the DC panel off except the pumps and leave the charger on.
Old 01-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Redneck version of second battery for stereo memory

Home Depot carries a solar powered security light that can last for up to 14 days without being recharged. The battery is slightly larger than one of those lantern batteries... and the solar panel is maybe 6 inches by 5 inches... That would be an ideal solution to 'memory' dependent functions... I use the thing on my art studio and it i gets sun maybe 3 hours a day if lucky.. it costs about $80. But easily adaptable to a marine environment...for those not wanting to go the whole solar route...but requires a low drain or interment burst for say a security light...I have used it for almost two year and once installed - just works... post is merely for those that have DIY alternative method seeking thinkology...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends. Some will lose the clock settings, some the memory settings, some both... it really depends on the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Fair enough, but when they are removed from the power (assuming they are connected via the DC panel and not directly to the batteries with an inline fuse on the pos side), do they lose the time and the presets like a clock radio with a dead 9 volt in it?

A car is a different story in that there isn't usually a switch between the "always on" components (like power locks) and the "ignition switched" ones, like the starter. In a boat, you can (and should, IMO) completely shut down the DC side when off the boat. I customarily only leave the charger on a single AC side circuit, and it feeds DC to my batteries 12 hours a day because I didn't want to haul them off the boat.

But that's it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Most boats should probably have some kind of solar panel/charger on them anyway, they sit so long the batteries self-discharge and get ruined. Anybody who has to worry about the current draw of a car stereo when it is off has to worry more about self-discharge of the batteries, because you're losing more power there than the radio draws.

Please support my

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.