Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-18-2008

ekotopia is on a distinguished road
Aluminum diesel tank

Hi all. I am rebuilding a Morgan O/I 41. 1978 - that's been sitting for about 5 years - except for the trip from the keys to Virginia. ( and on that trip we used a day tank )
So I decided to pump out the fuel tank - about 80 gal. of fuel - and the stuff that came out was really foul. So I decided to cut a manhole and check it out. U cant belive how it looked - about 1/2 to 3/4" thick sludge stuck to the only slanted surface( about 14" at 60 degree angle the whole lenght of the tank - about 6' ) and on the bottom !!?? Nothing on the vertical areas ??
The bottom (about 6" wide ) was also covered with sludge above the suction pipe - about 1 1/2". I cleaned the tank and scraped of some hard stuff - I guess corrosion stuff -and the slanted surface and the bottom is pitted - nothing else ??!! Not the baffles or the side walls.
I poked the pits and found out that they appear to be from the inside ( they bottom out in about a 3rd of the thicknes on the slanted surface and about 1/2 on the bottom. Any ideas of why this is and how to treat the tank to be able to keep it. Is there a paint or epoxy to seal the pits with??
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
uhhh, get a new tank. period.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-18-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
what he said..

But if you want to be cheap about it marine-tex sticks like something nasty to wire brushed solvent free aluminum . But.. to be fair let the next owner know what you did

Last edited by sailboy21; 01-18-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Glad my tank is Monel.
Old 01-18-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Two part polysulphide sealant will do it. It sticks like, well, glue, and does not let go.
Old 01-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rockter-

I don't think polysulfide sealant is a good idea in a diesel tank. Epoxy is far more fuel resistant IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
If you haven't seen this [Click Link: article before]: Probably a decent guide if you are going to do it yourself.... Although - I would consider just removing the tank and take it a machine shop in town and have them cut out the base of the tank and weld in a new one...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-19-2008

ekotopia is on a distinguished road
Thanx for responds - but does any have a clue to why the sludge and pitting was only on the slanted surface . The bottom I can understand, but why not on verticals?
As of removing the tank -
only in pieces - its 120 Gal. under the side deck next to a center cockpit.
Love to hear more....
Cheers
Old 01-19-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Oh Saildog, thou ist contrary...

It's been on that tank for 10 years now and the water tank.

Apparently it was even rated for gasoline.

Epoxy is a bit brittle methinks and polysulphide has done it for me and still does.

I put it on with a roller after a mammoth degreasing session.
Old 01-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekotopia View Post
Thanx for responds - but does any have a clue to why the sludge and pitting was only on the slanted surface . The bottom I can understand, but why not on verticals?
As of removing the tank -
only in pieces - its 120 Gal. under the side deck next to a center cockpit.
Love to hear more....
Cheers
Its called varnishing...the diesel and whatever containments over time of non-use start a chemical reaction - since fuel evaporates - this becomes more concentrated - and the sludge contains more by products than fuel and thus the aluminum at the bottom gets attacked more ferociously.... large enough tank you may get away with the previous link suggestion I posted...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.